Menu
Foreigner (Caucasion) sharing hotel room with Chinese GF in Guangzhou
Aug 25, 2005 07:15
  • YEMMIE
Hey folks, sorry to ask this same question again, but it is possible that I may be visiting Guangzhou instead of Wuhan, or maybe both. I know in any country, local laws and customs can vary from place to place. Is there any problem in Guangzhou, with me sharing a hotel room with my Chinese girlfriend? I want to be a welcome and respectful visiter to China. Thanks to all.
Aug 25, 2005 07:22
  • ELCABRON
That is no problem anymore. Maybe in some backwater towns where people still think of Mao as todays chairman.....but not in modern China. Especially not in places like Guangzhou.....
Aug 25, 2005 11:28
  • MISHEN
Like I've said before, I hate to disagree, but it's technically still illegal and there's nothing to stop any hotelier from disallowing cohabitation if they take a disliking to you - trust me on this one :)

75% of the time, if they agree to take on a foreign guest, they won't ask any questions. Guangzhou should probably be easier - they tend to be a lot more permissive there. If you get refused for any reason, another place will certainly accept you. Don't take it to heart...
Aug 25, 2005 12:15
  • ELCABRON
Well I can only speak of my and some friends experience.
For Beijing,
Shanghai,
Hangzhou,
Chongqing
and Guangzhou
I never heard of or had any problems.....to 100%.
Aug 26, 2005 00:05
  • MISHEN
Haha, maybe I look like a troublemaker :)

I found Beijing the worst. In my first year in China, I was travelling with a Chinese girl who was only a friend, and we wanted to share a room to save money. The receptionist asked if we were married, and then abused my friend for wanting to share a room with a foreigner... my friend was almost in tears!
Aug 26, 2005 00:23
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,mishen,it is so interesting,beijing is a feudatorial city!
Aug 26, 2005 02:30
  • ELCABRON
Oh man, really sorry to hear that. Must have been a bad day....

Aug 26, 2005 02:35
  • CALIFORNIA
haha,maybe it is interesting:-)not too bad!I have the same experience!
Aug 26, 2005 12:07
  • MISHEN
Similar thing happened to me on a few occasions - mostly no problem though :)
Dec 31, 2007 00:31
GUEST50164 no body will stop you when you want to share room with your girlfriend ,if some body ask if you were married ,they are kind heart man ,they don't want any chinese girl hurt by foreigner , believe me ,i am an chinese
Jan 5, 2008 00:01
GUEST05176 GUEST50164

you think that only a foreigner can hurt a chinese girl and chinese men never hurt their chinese girls? T
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigner (Caucasion) sharing hotel room with Chinese GF in Guangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code