My 3rd Visit to the Great Wall in Beijing

Written by Mr. YANG PEIQI May 10, 2010 23:08
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I visited the Great Wall twice in Beijing, once in the summer of 1992. A second time in winter 2007 was unfortunately spoiled by the snow. The wall was very slippery. I saw many tourists fell down and got slightly hurt but they still smiled. I fell down too. Summer is a better time to climb the Great Wall. I managed to walk on the "unfurbished" part of the wall then. I'm going again this autumn. This is surely an ancient wonder of the world. A breath taking achievement of the Chinese people. Imagine it takes about 10 hours for a jumbo jet to fly its entire distance of about 5,500 miles above a man-made structure. The saddest part of its history is that hundred thousands of conscripts died and were buried in or near the wall during its construction. This is a historical fact we must not denied. I was told as a child that they died of diseases, hunger, cold and hard labor. Their families never to see their sons or husbands again and gave them honorable burial. Perhaps visiting tourists today should be reminded in writing on tombstones located at the entrances of their sacrifies to build this wonderful structure for all of us to enjoy today. Tourists should respect them with a voluntary moment of silence before they climb the wall. For without them there is no wall today.

More Great Wall Travel Reviews
1. Juyongguan Great Wall Review CARMEN_01 from France May 9, 2010 22:03
2. Jiankou Great Wall Trip SUMMERSNOW from Fiji May 1, 2010 22:51
3. My 2nd Great Wall Tour: the Exhausting Mutianyu RAINdROP from Afghanistan Apr 25, 2010 04:08
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.