Beijing

Written by Jun 8, 2004 00:06
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Peaking(Beijing Day 1) In Year 2002 Summer

My family joined a travel agency in Singapore for an 8-day tour in China consisting of Peaking (Beijing), Huangshan, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Anhui and Shanghai. The group including my family, which was 10 of us, which consists of 16 people.Mine family memebers were both my parents,elder sista and me, my uncle together with my aunt,my cousin Jy and three other grand-aunt.

Day 1

Left Singapore flying Singapore Airlines on June 2 2002 to Peaking (Beijing), China capital. As the flight we took was at 1.15 am. Feeling rather hungry went to Fast-food restaurant Burger King to grab a large packet of onion rings and a piece of strawberry cream pie to share with my elder sista. Got on the flight SQ812 which is a B777-200 Jubilee. Found my seat, which was an aisle seat. Bucked up and started having fun with the In-flight Entertainment. Lot of fun stuff for me to do like playing games, watching movies etc. Cool right? Supper was served to us. Had a tuna sandwich was very yummy. Played and watched some short shows till 2 plus. Went to dream land.

Peaking(Beijing Day 2 In the morning and afternoon) In Year 2002 Summer

Day 2

Woke up at 6. Was greeted morning by the air-stewardess. Washed up. Had breakfast, which was omelette with potatoes. Watched a movie by Britney Spears Crossroads.I was about to finish the ending and the air-stewardess said to me: We are about to touch,Ms,Mind If you shut down the In-flight Entertainment. And I said Ok. Plane touched down in Beijing at 7 plus. Left the plane. Great flight, I would say. Once I stepped out of the plane, I find the airport look totally way different since the last time I stop over in Beijing in 1998. Went through the custom and found our tour guide. Tour guide was a female. Got on the coach. The tour guide told us that the airport, which I stop over in 1998, was the old airport. Now the old airport was closed down, the one we arrived in was the new airport. I was very amazed as China had changed a lot, I was wondering if their standarnd of bathroom had changed too? We went to our 1st destination of the day, which wass Temple of Heaven. Which wass the largest of all parks in Beijing. Collectively known as the Temple of Heaven, one building stands out - the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest. This place was where the late emperor prays there for good harvest and the ancestor's stuff like that. The route to each different part is pretty long, I would say. There was a part, which there was a wall when you talk, and you put your ear on the wall, you would be able to hear what the other party on the wall is talking about but the wall is protected. Our next destination was the Forbidden City as known as Gu Gong in Chinese. It was the world's largest palace complex and covers 74 hectares. As Coach were not allowed to alight in front of the Forbidden City, we had to walk in. The day was simply so hot, everyone went to buy a bottle of ice-green tea or iced drinks to cool ourselves down. There's a part, which I find it amazing. The tour guide told us that the Emperor only got three or two days to spend time sleeping together with the Empress and these days were the only day to produce babies. I hope I did not sound gross or what. I saw where the Emperor used to sleep and where he hold meetings with the Minster etc. Within the Forbidden City is the Imperial Palace that was the residence of the emperors of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. It was a remarkable complex of palaces and hall s comprising 9,000 rooms, all built of wood and bricks in an area of 250 acres. After visiting the whole of Forbidden City, We went for lunch at a Chinese restaurant, our very 1st lunch at Peaking (Beijing). After our lunch, we sat an hour or so coach to Summer Place. The summer place was sort of like a get-away resort for the Emperor and the royal family something like that. The palace grounds cover an area of 290 ha. Over three-quarters of which were covered by a landscaped lake. There was a boat made of marble floating on the lake

Peaking(Beijing Day 2 In the afternoon and at night) In Year 2002 Summer

Before ending our day, we went to a Pearl factory. Everyone got a pearl but I decided to dump it because that tour guide gave it to me. I thought of asking where could I get local sounivers but cancelled the idea of asking. I decided to buy mine sounviers in Shanghai. We ended our 1st day and went back to the city for dinner. As our tour guide ask if we want go to their local street to take a look at what the local food were. We decided not to join as we wanted to visit Tiananmen Square also known as Gate of Heavenly Peace as this attractions was an important place for the china's Chinese citizen as this place was where everyday, people of china would make an effort to come and see the flag-raising ceremony and the place would be the place where they will celebrate their important day and event. Therefore after we check in into the hotel we were staying for the night, my whole family 10 of us decided to visit the Gate of Heavenly Peace on our own. We set out by mine uncle asking the locals for the direction to the place. Thank God, his mandarin was really good. Mine uncle made a joke with me asking me to go and tell the guards there's no need to stand till so up-tight and asked me to tell him to be at ease. I was like :Oh man. You gotta be kidding. My chinese sucks big time and china people talk in such a fast way and their chinese was simply too good for me to understand.We walked all the way to the place. We started taking photos here and there. The lights were switched off, so we decided to walk back to the hotel and had our rest.

Peaking(Beijing Day 3 In the morning ) In Year 2002 Summer

Day 3
Woke up at 7 I think. Had our breakfast at the hotel cafe. It's an east meet west kind of breakfast. Some stupid Koreans occupied the table, which was ours.Everyone in mine family was so pissed off with the Koreans. My sista, cousin JY, uncle, aunt, mum and me wanted to march over them and scold them but we cooled ourselves down. My sista and me even wanted to scold them in Japanese and Pig Latin Language to them. Went to get our breakfast. We were not late and that stupid tour guide keep on crapping saying that we were late, it's not fair to others. I was like: Screw you,Shut bloody mouth up. Oh well, I ignored her and started mine day by reading mine book and looking at the scenery along the way. 1st destination of the day was The Great Wall of China. As the journey was long, I decided to take a nap. As we reached the place, I was so shocked that the Great Wall of China was so long. I climbed all the way to the 3rd stop and I gave up. I wondered how did the people who build the Great Wall of China were able to do it. As I set my foot on the Great Wall of China, i was simply feeling so strong and I though of mine late maternal grandma who had been to the Great Wall of China. I felt the way she was feeling and some other things of mine own. I simply felt great to be with mine loved one on a trip overseas.The Great Wall of China is one of mankind's greatest engineering achievements. First built during the spring and Autumn Period (770 - 467 BC), and extended from dynasty to dynasty, it meanders for some 6,400 km, across mountains and valleys. To keep the barbarians out and maintain the serenity of the "Middle Kingdom", it was Emperor Qin Shihuang of the Qin Dynasty (221 - 207 BC) who ordered that the walls be reinforced and linked together. More than 300,000 people were involved in its construction comprising 25,000 towers, each at 12 metres high. Cousin Jy and me went back to the bus to take a rest. I was reading my book and Cousin JY asked me to ask the bitch tour guide of ours what time is it. I told him just simply look at the coach's clock. We left the Great Wall of China and headed for lunch.

Peaking(Beijing Day 3 In the afternoon and at night ) In Year 2002 Summer

Jade factory was the 2nd destination of the day. . Didn't feel like going down but that tour guide of ours kept rushing me and mine cousin JY down. The bus driver uncle allowed us to stay on the bus. Mine aunt who was in Singapore called mine mum on the cellphone to talk to.At that every moment, I wish mine aunt was with us, she for sure would be able to scold that tour guide of ours till she shut her freaking mouth up. After lunch, we went to our 3rd and last destination of the day, The Ming Tombs. The Ming Tombs was the final resting place of 13 Ming emperors. When we went down, the place was very cooling and the weird thing was that it doesn't have air-conditioner. Finished visiting the Ming Tombs, as the tour guide said that to be careful of local people selling fruits as they would give you Taiwan currency which look alike like China currency and the rate was lower. But one of the aunties in another group got cheated. Oh well, Final stop is dinner and for us to look at the recording of us along our visit to the attractions. After that, went back to the hotel and rest for the day. I channel-surf for English MTV but however was too tired. I went to dreamland.

Peaking,Nanjing and Anhui(Day 4 ) In Year 2002 Summer

Day 4
Woke up at 6 and had our breakfast in a box. Had our breakfast on the coach as we got a plane to catch this morning to Nanjing. Everyone was given a can of cocola as our beverage. Who would drink such frizzy drink in the morning? We reached the airport around 7 I think .Did the check in stuff and went through the customs. What can I said about the locals? They simply have zero sense in queuing up and the basic courtnesy. We simply got to push our way through in order to get into the customs. Got on the plane. The time to take off reached but the plane did not took off.The plane was delayed as some idoit left her bag with her tour guide and that tour guide went off and that idot was looking for the bag and I was like Hello, We are supposed to take off and you make 500 or more passenger waiting for an idoit. If This was some other country eg:United States of America(USA), the plane would have taken off.Finally it was settled but some idoits wanted to get off said that all the waiting made them waste their time. I was like Freak you idoit would you just get your butt into your seat. Finally the air-stewardess managed to calm those idoit and finally we took off at 8 plus going 9 i think. Was served drinks and some small snack. Touched down in Nanjing at 12. Found our tour-guide which was a guy. Nanjing has nothing much as matter of fact. We went for lunch and proceed to Huangshan City known as Anhui . The road was rocky and I was being shaked awaked 7 times. By the time we reached Huangshan City which was known as Anhui, it was 7 plus going on to 8. We met another guide of ours, a female guide for our trip in Yellow Mountain. Check in .We left our luggage in the room and went for dinner. We spent our night at Huangshan City bottom. Well, washed up and I again did Channel-surf for English MTV and read mine book by ending mine day.

Anhui,Huangshan(Yellow Mountain)(Day 5 in the morning) In Year 2002 Summer

Day 5
7 were the wake up time for us. This morning, we were going to HuangShan (Yellow) Mountain . Had our breakfast and we slowly walk up to the Gondola (cable car) Station to take the Gondola. The ride was around 10 plus minutes or so. We reached the Yellow Mountain. We started walking our way to the hotel. We were staying which is Lion Forest Hotel a brand new hotel in Yellow Mountain. Yellow Mountain stands valiantly in the north of Huangshan City known as Anhui. The highest peak was over 1,800 m above sea level with a scenic area of 154 sq. metres. There were over 70 famous peaks; among these were three major peaks of Lotus Flower, Brightness Summit and Celestial Capital. Rare pines, grotesque rocks, seas of clouds and hot springs had been widely acclaimed the 'Four Wonders Under heaven". Seasonal landscapes like Sunrise Splendour and Buddha-Halo were blazing with colours and constantly changeable. The Jade Screen Tower, Lion Forest, The Beginning-To-Believe Peak, the West Sea, the Flower Showering Valley and the Pine Valley were the six highlights of the scenic area.

Anhui,Huangshan(Yellow Mountain)(Day 5 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2002 Summer

On our way up to the hotel, we saw lot of coolies taking rubbish, luggage and food on their shoulder and believe it or not, they have to walk up to Yellow Mountain by foot which takes about 3 hours or more and we were able to see very cleary that their shoulder were bruised. The tour guide told us they were paid very low.Cheap Labor I would say. They were paid like $1 or $2 buck everytime they take things up to the mountain and total some amount would be deducted for the so called employer and they were left around $200 bucks If I am not wrong.Once we reached the hotel, we went to check in and most of them left for a quick tour of Yellow Mountain except me,cousin Jy, mine aunt and one of mine grand aunt were simply too tried. We stayed in the hotel lobby to rest. The rest went for a quick tour about half an hour and had our 1st lunch on top of Yellow Mountain. Mine uncle told us: rice is very precious as the coolies had to carry the rice up so finish it all up. After lunch we went back to our rooms and rest. Around 3 plus, most of us went for a whole tour around Yellow Mountain except mine aunt, cousin jy, grandaunt stayed in their room. We choose the Eastern Steps, as it was much short and not as tough as the Western Steps. We saw many beautiful scenery. We ended our tour at 6 plus. Went back to the hotel for a quick rest and had our dinner. As our rooms are below, in order to reach the dining place, we had to walk up to the dining place. While waiting for our seats, we were standing outside the dining place as the place directly face outside and the temperature at night was freezing cool although it is June only. But thanks to mine grandaunt, she lent me her thick jacket to me. While having dinner, the only way to keep my body warm is by drinking hot soup. After dinner, we went to take a look at the video taken for the day. The female guide told all of us that if we want to catch the daybreak and sunrise, we were to wake up at 4 am. Thus after watching the video, all of us went back to our room and rest for the day in order to catch the daybreak and sunrise.

Anhui,Huangshan(Yellow Mountain),Hangzhou(Day 6 in the morning and afternoon) In Year 2002 Summer

4 am were the wake up time for us.The earliest time I ever woke up in mine entire life. As the temperature outside was very cold, we put on our jackets. We set out to watch the daybreak and sunrise. The sun rise around 5. Indeed, it was magnificent scenery, which I would never ever forget about it. Lots of people took picture. After the sun set in the sky, everyone went back to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, went back to our room and check out the hotel. We had to climb the stairs in order to reach the Gondola (cable car) Station. There was this freak idoit aunty who simply made use of mine mum. She kept on saying oh I'm tried. I was like freak you can you this freaking idoit just take your own luggage and stop asking my mum to help you while my dad ankle was already badly injured and yet he gotta carry a heavu luggage.Mine uncle kept on telling my mum in Pig Latin that not to help that idoit but my mum was simply so kind-hearted said it's ok. My elder sista and me carried our own luggage. And for goodness sake, I got muscel problem but i still gotta endure and climb the mountain if not I would not be able to get back in Singapore. All of us were panting like hell by the time we reached the Gondola (cable car) station. We took the Gondola and got on our coach. We proceed to a shopping place in Anhui Province. Got down to use the bathroom and walked around for a while and head back on the bus to read mine book and somehow I fell asleep. When I woke up an hour later, no one was on the bus except me and mine cousin JY. I went down again to use the bathroom again. Finally the bus left and headed to the place we were having for lunch. I got a big shock of mine life as the place we were having lunch was very run-down, mine whole family was so scared what the food is going to like? The food was not bad. Mine uncle said the hotel was a no star hotel, which I totally agreed. We left for our next destination, which is Yaolin Fairyland. We reached Yaolin Fairyland around 4 plus. Yaolin Cave. With an area of 40,000 sq. metres and a depth of 1,000 metres, Yaolin Cave consisted of 4 scenic sections. A dazzling variety of stalactites, stalagmites, stone pillars and stone screens form a world of sculptural works. When we went into the cave, the temperature was very cooling. We finished visiting the cave around 5 plus.

Anhui,Huangshan(Yellow Mountain),Hangzhou(Day 6 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2002 Summer

The guy guide told us that yesterday night, a Taiwanese tourist happened to have heart attack on Yellow Mountain. They had to rush him to the Gondola (Cable car) Station and luckily the emergency team was at the bottom of the mountain while they reached. But thank god, the Taiwanese tourist was fine. We proceed on to HangZhou. By the time we reached HangZhou, it was 8. We meet our HangZhou tour guide and we had our dinner, which enable us to see West Lake. We ended our day by checking in to the hotel we were staying. It was a great hotel with lot of facilities.

Hangzhou,Shanghai (Day 7 in the morning) In Year 2002 Summer

Woke up at 8 am. Had our breakfast at the hotel cafe. Set off for the 1st destination of the day, which was Mausoleum of General Yuefei. Built in 1221. This was the burial place for General Yue Fei, an outstanding and patriotic hero of Song Dynasty. When we went into the temple and saw the poem, which he wrote about his country, everyone was so touched that some of them even cried. We saw the traitors which betray General Yuefei kneeling at a corner and lots of people spilt on their statue, actually everyone thought it was the husband and wife who betray General Yuefei but actucally it was the emperor who killed General Yuefei in a way. After visiting the Mausoleum of General Yuefei, we walk to our bus to a silk factory. But the factory only open at 10, so mine cousin JY, sista and me were on board the bus watching VCD. The silk factory opened up and we were shown on how silk was being made. After that, went to West Lake for our cruise on the west lake. We got on board of our boat and the scenery of west lake is so nice, foggy make it look so mystery in a way. It was surrounded by hills dotted with pavilions and pagodas on three sides. It has circumference of 12 km with ten locations of interest, including Snow Broken Bridge, the Three Pools Mirroring the Moon and the Viewing Fish at Flower Harbour. After cruising west lake, got on our coach and headed for lunch.

Hangzhou,Shanghai (Day 7 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2002 Summer

After lunch, we departed for our next destination, which wass Zhouzhuang Water Village. Before going to Zhouzhuang Water Village, we went to a factory, which created local art. Mine family got lot of arts from the factory. We reached Zhouzhuang Water Village around 5 plus. Walked around Zhouzhuang water village, the scenery was so breath taking. Captured lot of pictures but however if you capture the local singing, they would ask you to pay them so do be careful. After visiting the Zhouzhuang water village, had our dinner and proceed to Shanghai. Reached Shanghai around 9. We went to Huangpu River and the bund. The night scenery of Huangpu River and the bund wass simply so amazing. Captured lot of picture. We even saw the Oriental Pearl TV Tower; it was the world third tallest TV tower after the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada and Moscow TV Tower in Russia. It was just not simply a TV tower, inside it contains of hotel and restaurants etc. Finished visiting Shanghai night Scenery, went to check in into the hotel. By the time we reached the hotel, it was 12 midnight. Everyone was so tried, we quickly ended our day.

Shanghai (Day 8 in the morning) In Year 2002 Summer

8 were the wake up time for us. Had our breakfast at the hotel cafe. It was the best breakfast we ever had. Lots of western food for breakfast.I had totally a lot . Ate fries,Ommlment with mushrooms and tomtatto in it,cronflakes etc.Cousin jy and me had our very 1st taste and last taste of fries in china. 1st destination of the day was The Bund. Yesterday, we saw the night scenery of The Bund and Huangpu Rive. This morning was to take a look at the morning scenery of the Bund and The Huangpu River. The Bund, once part of the foreign concessions and out of bound to locals. The Bund was presently Shanghai's financial hub, also known as the 'Wall Street of the East". Captured lot of beautiful scenery. After that, went to Yuyan Garden. An official owned the Garden in the older days for his father leisure pleasure. Again, captured lot of beautiful scenery. After visiting the Garden, went to Chenghuangmiao. A place for tourist to shop. It was built in the Ming Dynasty. Presently, it was a prosperous and bustling shopping area after recent years of major reconstruction. We were given our own free time to shop. Mine cousin JY was thirsty, I offered him mine drink. While I was taking my bottle back from Jy...I feel something was burning... Then I realized it was me who got burn by mine uncle's cigarette... I got no intention of crying and I never want to cry... The pain was simply so painful. Tears just roll down my cheeks...My mum kept asking me not to cry...My Grandaunt, cousin and my elder sister told my mum, Look, We know she didn't want to cry and she got no intention of crying but the pain is really painful. It just simply comes out of her. One of mine grandaunt quickly apply ointment on mine burn area. I was feeling slightly better and went to window-shop around. Saw Starbuck, went in to take a seat and waited for others to finish shopping. After finishing shopping, we went for lunch.

Shanghai.Singapore (Day 8 in the afternoon and at night) In Year 2002 Summer

After lunch, we went to Hongqiao Airport, the old airport. Went to check in and bid Farwell to our guide. Went through the customs. Waited in the waiting room for our flight to be board. While waiting to board the plane, saw the air-stewardess which just landed in Shanghai.. Mine dad,my elder sista,cousin jy and me were like checking out the rank of the air-stewardess of Singapore Airlines. We saw one head air-stewardess because in Singapore Airlines it was pretty hard to get promoted to head air-stewardess normally we would be able to see Asst air-stewadress. and a couple of Asst air-stewadress. The flight we were taking were Singapore Airlines, SQ 805. The plane we took was way much bigger than the one we took from Singapore, this plane is Boeing 777-300. The plane departed at 4.20 from Shanghai. My seat this time was a window seat. Once again, I had so much fun with the In-flight Entertainment. Occupied myself by playing games, watching movies etc. I managed to finished the movie Crossroads in the end. Dinner was served. Had a Chicken set and ice cream as dessert. Yummy. Touched down in Singapore at 9 plus. Had such a great time in China.

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. Today we went to the Great Wall BETH Apr 9, 2004 17:04
2. My adult son and I just returned from a 15-tour in China. If there was one highlight over another it would be this cruis SMILINGTEDDY Mar 30, 2004 10:03
3. The Summer Palace SIMON from AF Mar 30, 2004 10:03
Comments (1)

Feb 1, 2006 05:17 Reply

JEANNINEJ said:

I am debating on staying in beijing for either 3.5 days or 4.5 days? Any suggestions? Same as Shanghai? I want to be able to see all I need to see and shop a little too.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.