Free Guide on Bus919

Written by Aug 18, 2010 20:35
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

You may know that the most convenient and safest way to Badaling Great Wall is by train or by bus919 at Deshengmen. But I've never expected that bus919 is also not that safe, for I almost got fooled by the free guide on it.

I got up very early that morning and went to Deshengmen to take bus919. Leaving the station, a lady showed up in the front of the bus and introduced herself as a free guide. Hearing that, I just felt that the capital was indeed different and the service was indeed better. Several points I got from the guide:
1. The wall was very steep and it was very dangerous and exhausting to climb it, so took a nap on the bus to save energy.
2. There were many side roads on the wall and did not try to wander about on them. Otherwise you wouldn't find the way back. Make sure you return by the way you would go.
3. It was better to take a cable car to go up and down. It saved both energy and time.
4. The guide could offer combo tickets at a lower price, rmb105, including the entry ticket and a round-trip ticket for the cable car.

Seemed the guide was always thinking about the travelers. But what I found later was so much different from what she said.
1. The cable car only arrived at No.4 watch-tower and the way from the base to the place is not as steep as the way after. So if you are young and strong, there is no need to take the cable car at all.
2. Indeed, there were many tourists following the original way back, but it's not the only way. After you arriving at the No.10 watch-tower (the highest point of Badaling), there was a road down and that's the only road down there. It's impossible to get lost. The thing was the road was really steep (and dangerous in the guide's word), but one could enjoy the unique scenery.
3. The entrance fee was rmb45 and the round trip ticket for the cable car was rmb60. So the price offered by the guide was not lower.

One more thing, after arriving, the guide took us to the cable car station, not the Great Wall entrance. By now, I gradually got that the guide was trying her best to sell us the cable car tickets. Luckily, I followed the direction boards and found the entrance. I bought an individual ticket for the wall.

If anyone get any chance to read my review, just remember that do not buy the so called combo tickets on bus919 in a hurry, except that you've already decided to go up and down by the cable. Both the cable car tickets and entry tickets were available at the scenic point.

Ehhhhhhh, bad luck to have a selfish and unprincipled guide.

More Beijing Travel Reviews
1. Terrible Hutong Tour with ineedhotel.com LIVINGINBEIJING from China Aug 14, 2010 08:51
2. Bus919 CARDRIVER from Philippines Aug 12, 2010 04:11
3. A Visit to Mutianyu Great Wall SHEPHERD from Afghanistan Aug 5, 2010 01:50
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.