Danger

Written by Sep 6, 2010 21:15
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

We were invited to go "Drifting" on the river. It sounded idyllic on a hot Canton day. Much to our surprise, we were trucked up to a top of a small mountain here in Shishan to a man made river and litterally "flushed" off the mountain in a small inflatabe raft. When they issued us helmets and life vests we should have known that this was not what we expected. This activity is not for the faint of heart and you are dropped down through a series of concrete water canals at high speed, bouncing off every turn and bend at whiplash like speeds. I was thrown from my boat and drugged along the concrete sides for a few very harrowing minutes, as the poor country staff attempted to rescue me by trying to catch me with 20 foot bamboo poles with metal hooks attached! I love China, but some activities are not only lost in translation but not for foreign friends. In the states we would classify these as category 5 rapids. Please be advised this is not for beginners and make sure your travel insurance is up to date (most policies don't cover extreme sports and in China...."drifting" is one of them!). 

More Guangdong Travel Reviews
1. Zengcheng Villages KIWICHINESE from NZ Jul 1, 2009 04:02
2. Kaiping Castles JABAROOTOO from CN Dec 5, 2008 07:20
3. The most valuable lichee LIZXLI from CN May 25, 2007 08:05
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.