Traveler

Written by Mr. BOGUE Apr 16, 2012 18:41
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

I remember viewing Hong Kong from the Peak, and taking the Peak Tram in 1956.  It, and the view, and Hong Kong at that time (I was in the U.S. Navy) was and still is one of the most memorable times of my life.  Ate at the Parisian Grill (downtown HK - best food ever, not there now, but still have the menu, and my change in Hong Kong Dollars).  Most exciting and beautiful city when entering by ship down south from the Tiawan Straits with the ivory mansions on the lush green hills and entering  the vast busy harbor with its (then) sampans and ships.  Took movies including the Tigerbaum (?) Gardens. Visited three times - can only wonder what it's like now (yes, I've seen the pictures) without the British Influence being so prevalent then.  Can only compare it to Paris (for beauty); but H.K. for lasting memories.

More Hong Kong Travel Reviews
1. Good Food in Hong Kong MINA CHIU from Canada Jan 31, 2012 07:05
2. HongKong. Bridal Tea House Hung Hom Winslow Hotel GUNNARF11 from Sweden May 11, 2011 05:15
3. What Could You Expect of Hong Kong LINGYUXISU from China Apr 21, 2011 01:34
Comments (1)

Nov 5, 2016 17:43 Reply

Mr.ALBERT BODT from U.S.A. said:

I remember Hong Kong in the late 1960's. I was also in the U.S. Navy, (U.S.S Coral Sea) when, in December of 1967, my shipmates and I decided on dinner at the Parisian Grill. It was, as the name suggests, a French restaurant. It was my first introduction to "Steak Dianne", pan flambe sauteed at the table, with vegetable, with au jus, delicious!! It was located in a small alley or alcove next to the Bank of China. There was a souvenir stand just prior to entering this basement restaurant, where I bought a few "jade" statuettes, and found this sophisticated out of the way jewel. Waiters dressed in white coats with black tie, good French wine, all at a reasonable price for a young sailor. Unfortunately, the building and restaurant are now gone. If any one has a menu, please e-mail me a photocopy, or scanned copy in color if possible at the above e-mail address.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.