Impression of visit to Huangshan Mountain

Written by Mr. BAK SI Jun 12, 2012 05:07
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

In summary, 3 things: the mountain, the place and the people.

The mountain
The scenery were very nice when the atmosphere at the moutain top are right. Most of the time, it was difficult to see sunrise, or to see the low hanging cloud as depicted by some of the photo shots. Still it nice at least to breathe some real fresh air and see some mountain views.

The place is really disappointing. 
From the train station - the place looks run down and smell like toilet for a world class tourist entry site.
The transportation - one would expect some non-chinese official info since it a famous site but none and everyone give different answers. Even got fake tourist centre outside railway station and plenty of touts who keep harassing you.
At Tangkou bus deport - where you need to take the official moutain bus that do not bring you to the ticketing office - 300m away, 
At the bottom cable car station - wonder why they make you climb all the stairs just to get to the cable car - those who find it hard to climb, it better not to go up the mountain - it worse up there. 
At the cable station on top - you really need to walk/climb up steep steps that basically wear you down before you even start to enjoy any view. 
Mountain rouite - Although there not many routes, there are no signage and you have to half guess. It slightly different from the tourist map.
Hotels - no value for money and all the seeing sunrise is almost very low probability due to the weather. You can only see at certain days of some months only. So most do not see what those photo shots show.
Foods -  The overpiced 5Rmb maize corn is better tasting than the highly overpiced 40Rmb set meal. You basically want to bring your own or survive a day or two on snack foods.

The people. There are only 2 kinds of people.
The official one - counter staff, cable car staff, etc. If you ask a question, they look very angry at you for wasting their time.
The business one - Answer given to you are how to take advantage of you. 

Everything is overprice without good value. Even the local huangshan people whom I met on the train told me it not worth going and they themselves do not even go up. They cannot even explain to me how to take transport from railway to tangkou and will join the tour if they need to go. You can join the tour and save all the headache. It not meant for individual or group travelling on your own. The only thing are saving grace of the superb mountain views but there is a limit for price you want to pay. It a pity but the whole experience is one of lousy aftertaste.

More Huangshan Travel Reviews
1. My winter visit to Yellow Mountain YES_NONO from China Feb 8, 2012 01:25
2. Tour Mt. Huangshan in Rainy and Foggy Days EDISON Aug 16, 2011 19:55
3. Yellow Mt - the most beautiful natural scenery in China! MARTIN from USA Dec 8, 2010 12:34
Comments (0)

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.