Living in Chengdu

Written by Sep 9, 2006 09:09
Add Friends:
Email 1 Email 2 Email 3

No more than 10 friends at a time, please.

Chengdu - an introduction

Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan Province ("Chengdu" means "becoming capital"), habitat of giant pandas, and the city of cotton-rose hibiscus.

Located in the west of Sichuan Basin and in the center of Chengdu Plain, Chengdu covers a total area of 12.3 thousand square kilometers (4,749 square miles) with a population of over 11 million [only about 200 of whom are "resident foreigners"].

The history of Chengdu can be traced back 2,400 years, when the first emperor built his capital here and named the city. The city is famous for its brocades and embroideries, and was where the bronze culture, an indispensable part of ancient Chinese culture, originated. It was the place where the Southern Silk Road started, and the place where the earliest paper currency was printed.

In addition, the region is the natural habitat of giant pandas. Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center supports the world's only giant panda breeding and research base.
Aside from the famed spicy Sichuan cuisine, and for the relaxed atmosphere of its many tea-houses, Chengdu is also the "gateway to Tibet." I chose Chengdu over other cities because of its proximity to Kham, the eastern region of Tibet which has traditionally been fiercely independent, but which has long been a part of Sichuan province, under Chinese rule.

More Chengdu Travel Reviews
1. Pleasures of the Leaf MISHEN from NZ Apr 12, 2006 11:04
2. Journey to Jiu Zhai Gou JOSHUACHONG from SG Feb 14, 2006 19:02
3. Animals Asia BRENDA Dec 18, 2005 00:12
Comments (1)

Sep 28, 2006 00:06 Reply

PINETREE said:

Well, is this all ? We are waiting for more from you !
I am looking at living in China and am scouting for a suitable city/town to live in for a couple of years or so. Chengdu seems quite suitable but I wanna know more from those who are already living there - esp overseas Chinese.
So please tell us more. There surely are more beside me that are interested in your article.

Tks.

Write Your Comment

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.

Send me an Email if anyone replies.

You can post as a member (Login first) or a guest!

*Name: Country:

No more than 2,000 characters, please.