Menu
Tourist Trap in Hainan - Part 1
Sep 2, 2005 23:45
  • CHAMONIQUE
Part 1

Just went to Hainan Island last week. Personally I felt that the island is over hyped, over-commercialized, full of artificial attractions and con men.

Most people commented that Sanya is beautiful but I do not concur with this. No doubt the sea and the sky are blue but many of the coral reefs are dying. You can actually see much beautiful coral reefs in some islands of Malaysia or Thailand and at a cheaper price. The sea sport operators in Sanya charge tourists exorbitant fees.

I would advise tourists especially if you are Asian looking to be very careful when you visit any temples in Hainan especially Dong Ling Shan. The Chao Yin Temple in Dong Ling Shan is inhibited by a group of unscrupulous and despicable monks and local guides who cohorts to con tourists especially those from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. My family and I were unfortunate to fall preys to become their victims. Please do not take any divine lots, incense or lotus lamps even if the guides sweet talked to you. We were hoodwinked into paying almost RMB 1000 for the incense. The tour guide would first tell you tales of how accurate the temple would give divine lots and that it do not cost any cents to get the divine lots and that the monks in the temple were kind hearted enough to decipher the lots at no charge. As we were approaching the temple, the tour guide should us some big incense outside the temple and told us that only fated believers would be chosen to light the incense. At first we did not want to take any divine lots when the tour guide passed it to us because we normally would not pray in foreign temple. However the tour guide persuaded us and said when in Rome do as the Roman do and we felt embarrassing for not been open minded and showing disrespect to the deity. That was mistake Number ONE.

Things happened very fast and they had some helpers there to bring you to all the monks at different queue to decipher the lots and the monk told me to go to the counter outside to get some incense. The minute I stepped out, the person at the incense counter just shoved the incense to me and unwrapped the plastic cover. He immediately asked me for RMB 130. I was overwhelmed and my mind was in a state of blank. I did not know what come over me and I just paid without asking. I did not know what came over me that I just part my money. Perhaps I was hypnotized. Later I realized my relatives were each conned into paying RMB 390 for the incense. All of them said they were in a state of confusion when everything happened so fast. One of my aunties was pressurized to buy some Qi Lin at RMB 1,800. They refused to let her leave until she finally bought a small one at RMB 280.
Sep 14, 2005 06:19
  • CALLESMAN
We had the same experience when visiting Beijing this April. We did not fall for that trap but got ripped off by a taxi driver. He charged $300 for a $50 ride.
Nov 16, 2005 06:28
  • PINETREE
So sad to hear about all these happening in China. I believe that they are true though I have not been conned in similar manner.
No doubt this is a passing stage in a country's development but I hope that the TCG can help do something about this, else it will not be good for the tourism industry in China. It also reflects poorly on the people of China at large.
Nov 16, 2005 07:33
  • NEWBIRD
I haven't been to many places in China, but most of the attractions I have been to are just what the author has described. The worst place I have been to is Shanhaiguan. Xian, Tai'an, Qufu, Datong and Chongqing are just about as bad. I find Beijing and Tianjin quite okay. I only spent a few hours at Yichang, but it seems like a nice place. My best experiences in China are still the less visited tourist spots located at the outskirts. Some places that come to mind are Jiankou great wall, Simatai great wall and Gongtan town. If I am to tour China again, i would probably skip the major attractions.
Nov 16, 2005 07:37
  • NEWBIRD
Ammendment :P
Datong isn't so bad. I even met a kind cab driver who told me what buses to take to get the various tourist attractions so I can save $ on cab fares.
Nov 16, 2005 20:00
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Chamonique,you can write your experience in Travel Review!

Post a Reply to: Tourist Trap in Hainan - Part 1
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code