Menu
Chinese movies have already had a status in the international film field
Sep 6, 2005 20:02
  • PEA28COCK
Hello, Elcabron. In fact I have the same question with you. While I think sometimes or rather for all the time sad ending is much more powerful than the happy ending. You may forget a comedy in a short period but you will remember a tragedy almost forever. By the way you seem to know a lot about Chinese movies. :)
Sep 7, 2005 02:58
  • ELCABRON
Zhang Ziyi is cute;-)

The actress from "Dumplings" is also very popular at the moment - I forgot her name....you can see her at every filmfestival.

About sad endings,
I have the feeling that there is somehow a historical or cultural link to it in China, because classics like the dream of the red chamber or even Kin Ping Meh have a more or less sad ending...

I mean it is always the artists choice how to finish his/her work, but in other countries the endings are more mixed - I mean Hollywood offers happy ends most of the time, Bollywood(India) loves happy love movies......and so on. But maybe I dont know enough Chinese movies....
Sep 7, 2005 03:05
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,I love Bollywood movies!!!The ends were happy:-)
Sep 7, 2005 10:15
  • GAZ07
I like watching movies. I'd say i watch more movies than the average person. But i don't agree that mainland China had much of an impact on the world stage.

Xia Yu, Ge You, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Zhang Yimou, Chen Kaige, Feng Xiaogang.

None of these names mean anything to me (the average movie watcher)

Nor do the films Suzhou River, Blind Shaft, Chongqing Express, 2046, In the mood for love, Huazhe

Thanks for the names though, i'll try to watch them. Just because they're not commercial, doesn't mean they're not good movies =)
Sep 7, 2005 19:55
  • PEA28COCK
Hi, Elcabron, the actress in Dumplings you mentioned must be Bai Ling, am I right?
Hello, Gaz, I have a question for you. What do you expect most when watching a movie? For a new movie or the one you have never heard of before, what will drive you to watch it? Anything special?
Sep 7, 2005 19:57
  • CALIFORNIA
Bai Ling,yes,I think you are right!
Sep 7, 2005 20:45
  • PEA28COCK
To be frank I don't like Bai Ling very much. Maybe she meets the taste of the western people rather than that of the Chinese. This is a very important reason that she is more popular abroad.
Sep 7, 2005 21:22
  • CONNY129
the same as Zhang Ziyi ,how popular she is in abroad ,how disgusting she is in inland. the taste is quite different between western and Chinese.
Sep 7, 2005 22:32
  • PEA28COCK
Wow, disgusting???!!!! But I think Zhang Ziyi is pretty charming. Conny, why do you have such kind of feeling? I am really curious about that.
Sep 7, 2005 22:37
  • CONNY129
you can do a survey on your friends or colleagues or check some info on line ,then will you know why.
Page 2 of 13    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese movies have already had a status in the international film field
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code