Menu
College Tuition Fee Twentyfold within 10 Years
Sep 28, 2005 21:49
  • HEROPRINCE
Many students are facing tuition problems!
like me,
Anyway, at last, I graduated.

Sep 28, 2005 21:52
  • RITA
"Many students are facing tuition problems!
like me, Anyway, at last, I graduated." - Hero

But I have a younger sister:(

Sep 28, 2005 23:45
  • CALIFORNIA
To Gaz:Geography????Really???I love geography very much!But I didn't study it in the university,it is a pity!Maybe I can ask some questions to you:-)
Sep 29, 2005 01:48
  • MISHEN
The trouble with the 'tickle down' theory is that money tends to congest into smaller areas. If a small group of people is to get rich first, the only way that the money is going to get spread around if those rich people go and live in poor places and spend money there. Why don't they just move Shanghai to Xinjiang? That'll develop the West...

I think education is one of the biggest challenges facing China and the world. It's not just about money though. I come from a country where many believe than education has been watered down successively for the last twenty years, and kids graduate with no real ability to deeply understand anything more challenging than reality TV...

Sep 29, 2005 02:09
  • PEA28COCK
Hi, Mishen, I can tell that you are a person with deep thought. Well yes, education is biggest challenge for the whole world, and also it is the most crucial factor for the universal development.
If the there are more intellectuals, China will become much more rich not only spiritually but also materially.
Sep 29, 2005 04:05
  • ELCABRON
Diffusion of wealth in China:

There is a huge gap between rich and poor. This spread is not only within the society but also between the regions of China, like you already mentioned(quite well developed east coast, poor western inland). Because of that there are more than 80 million touring workers from the poor countryside looking for some work in the better regions of China. Can you imagine that number?
At least the government is aware of the problem and tries to develop the inland regions. That is why CQ got its status. To reduce the spread throughout the country. You could offer the best colleges in Tibet, if there is no industry where you can find a job, you have to leave with your doctors degree.....
It will take some time for Xinjiang, if it ever happens.

About education fees:

I come from a country where education (especially college) was totally free. The idea was of course that everybody should get the same chances for education independently from beeing born in a rich or poor family.
But the question is, is education really a free good? Everybody has to pay for what the government can offer for free (to all or just to a group).
Or is it better to offer basic education for free, whereas you have to invest into your own future (not only time but also money) if you want to reach the highest status of education?
Some people argue it is not the governments job to provide all of that and that a private-run education industry is more efficient (despite the allocation problem).
Oct 11, 2005 04:44
  • RITA
The latest data show that the richest 10% of Chinese have eightfold wealth of that 10% the poorest.
Oct 11, 2005 05:50
  • ELCABRON
Update:
A recent estimation gives a number of 150 million touring workers. I guess you cant trust any statistics unless you have manipulated it by yourself.

About "touring workers":
That does not refer to the Prof. Dr.Dr. Wang who decides to work in Shanghai or New York because of the flexibility of the job market. It stands for all those none-educated workers contructing skyscrapers or digging for coal under the toughest conditions, with no other choice.
Part of todays prosperity rests on their shoulders.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: College Tuition Fee Twentyfold within 10 Years
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code