Menu
Posting personal detail on forum- good/bad idea
Sep 18, 2005 11:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Just wondering if it is a good idea to post your personal email and mobile phone contacts on the forum.

You really don't know who is out there looking for just such information. May not be many people but one is all it takes to make life unpleasant for you, especially the young ladies.

Can I suggest using the msg option to pass on this more personal information to other members.

Anyone else seeing your general information can then contact you in the same fashion using your message box option, thus keeping any personal or business connections a private matter between interested parties.
Sep 18, 2005 19:57
  • RITA
I think it is ok to post personal email address, but I don't know if it is a good idea to post mobile phone numbers.
Sep 22, 2005 07:27
  • JABAROOTOO
Do not post your email address in public places -- treat it like you would your phone number. If your email address appears on a message board, in a chat room, or any public place, spammers can use automated robots, or "bots," to search the Internet and grab your email address. We recommend using one of your Yahoo! Mail disposable email addresses - when visiting message boards and chat rooms. With a disposable email address, you can monitor spam coming into that address and delete it if it gets too much spam.

Sep 22, 2005 10:07
  • CALIFORNIA
I agree with you,Jabrootoo:-)
Oct 5, 2005 11:04
  • JABAROOTOO
'Cut and Paste' but still good advice.

Why not use the personal message service provided by the forum anyway?????
Dec 1, 2005 10:42
  • JABAROOTOO
We still see a lot of members giving out there details and worse still the details of third parties in the public forum area.

Why not play it safe and use the private message option. After all that's what it is for.

Do not post your email address in public places -- treat it like you would your phone number. If your email address appears on a message board, in a chat room, or any public place, spammers can use automated robots, or "bots," to search the Internet and grab your email address.
Dec 1, 2005 17:12
  • SNOWBIRD
Use your head and take the good advices.

But I'm sure these people go public with a purpose. It is for free advertisment and good mileage. I noticed that the infos are usually company-related and disguised as personal messages.

Apr 4, 2006 10:53
  • KANGA
I answered I was from NewZealand in the other page when some Aussie person asked for locations but she got angry because of my user name. My name is from the Maori bible but I wont say any more personal things here.

Apr 4, 2006 17:22
  • PINETREE
Just curious - anything "special" about the name Kanga pl ?
Apr 5, 2006 06:20
  • JABAROOTOO
Refer the other thread

What is your location for more on 'Kanga'

In Austrailia it is short for Kangaroo although we usually use the word 'roo'
Apr 5, 2006 06:38
  • INMEDIC
I don't think it is a good idea to post your phone number but ok to post email address. You can always change your email address and give the new one to your close friends.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Posting personal detail on forum- good/bad idea
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code