Menu
Shangri-la anything interesting
Sep 23, 2005 04:55
  • ELODEA
Hi everybody?

Can anyone tell me the interesting places to visit at Shangri-la? Is Zhongdian and Shangri-la the same places? What are the things worth buying there? thanks.

elodea
Sep 23, 2005 06:31
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes they are supposed to be one and the same but there is still a little controvesy. Tiger Leaping Gorge is a must if you are there as are Lijiang or Lugu Lake.
Can't advise on what to buy. That all depends on what you are interested in really!
Sep 23, 2005 07:00
  • ELCABRON
Gee, I cant believe they have a location item called SHANGRI-LA on this page. Are you (the admin) nuts????

Forget the cheap propaganda of the Tourism Bureau for a second and read Hiltons book - and than tell me again about this location.....
Sep 26, 2005 02:12
  • ETHNICEAST
zhongdian is the same place as shangrila in yunnan. it is popularized by one silly westerner i guess. he wrote a book about his trip and impressions. anyway, it is not meant to indicate that is a five stars hotel there but a place of unspoiled nature etc..,
Banyan tree is there anyway.
It is a nice place now, very tibetan in theme. pretty much the same things you can get from anywhere in china as far as shopping is concern.
Sep 26, 2005 04:25
  • JABAROOTOO
Everybody is looking for something like it. It might as well be in China.

In fact there is a village called Shang li la in the area so........
Sep 26, 2005 04:46
  • ELCABRON
Wrong, it is populized by the silly Bureau of Tourism, the first thing they did was bulldozing an airport in to the countryside....

But it is not about Zhongdian or any Shang li la blabla towns, which are beautiful for sure,
it is about the idea of Shangri-La....which gets raped for a dumb tourist trap.
The silly Westerner you refer to wrote fiction;-)
It is an easy read, half a day.....try it.
Oct 11, 2005 00:29
  • TERRYSPYYDER
To Ethniceast..Let's thank the so-called silly westerner and gave him some credit. Zhongdian is another chinese name to the westerner but Shangri-la conjures a special magical charm, a fantasy, a paradise....need I say more? Zhongdian may not be as popular if not for the changed of name. But of course, a rose by any name smells just as sweet!!! So let's forget Zhongdian. Zhongdian has ceased to exist. Like it or not, Shangri-la is the new name.
Oct 11, 2005 00:36
  • DOUTIN
oops,
i thought it was about the hotel with the same name. that one in qingdao has a bar called "the bat", 20min to get your beer but nice music performed by a filipino band. they will leave at the end of DEC..
:((
Oct 11, 2005 01:00
  • ETHNICEAST
jolly good. i guess some of you have not been there for sometime. it is moving from being shangrila(lost horizon) to khampa(tibetan theme). the silly tourist bureau will be launching the tibetan town of yunnan next year march replacing the silly western writer's lost horizon fantasy with cultural attractions of tibetan things. still nothing to buy but interesting if you have not being there.

Oct 11, 2005 01:06
  • ETHNICEAST
at least there will be dancing in the night at the old town square. if you are tired from climbing up the tibetan temple.

Oct 11, 2005 01:32
  • ELCABRON
Great! At least you gave it a try....though it was not more than a try;-)
Reading does not mean understanding, GOOGLing even less;-)

Cheap talk without any content!

Did THEY already built up noisy DISCOs in front of holy temples, like in front of the Potala?

I hope they launch the silly tourist bureau to the moon soon.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Shangri-la anything interesting
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code