Menu
WALK SLOW
Oct 4, 2005 03:12
  • KYLE
Mun tso
I think that is the way to write it. Everyday, in any city, or any village, no matter where I am people say this to me. To me it means, to enjoy life, if you walk slow then your not in a hurry. Therefor you are able to apprecaite the small things that are important. Where does this come from? What do you think it means?
Oct 7, 2005 00:49
  • RITA
Well, usually people say "Mun tso" to show their courtesy and consideration, seems a little bit outdated, aged people use it more than younger people do. I have to say I appreciate the expression very much, and I can't help using it a lot and, i am sure I mean it when I say it to others, "Mun tso", "Take care" and many others. I also enjoy the consideration when people say this to me though that does not happy often.

But I hesitate to use it to foreigners unless s/he is really old and needs watch their steps when they walk. I found foreigners of young age do not appreciate such kind of consideration or courtesy or I would venture to say they do not really understand the feelings behind the word "慢走!"

I like Kyle's understanding, too, much deeper! ;-)

Oct 7, 2005 00:55
  • JABAROOTOO
Thanks Rita for your explanation.

I have it said a lot and appreciate it. So long as people don't take me by the arm and treat me like an old lady it's a nice general way of saying take it easy, enjoy yourself.
Oct 7, 2005 01:49
  • RITA
There is a crucial difference of showing consideration or caring between Chinese and a lot of foreign countries. I am wondering what confused you, all of you - working or studying in China during the initial period of staying here ;-)
Oct 9, 2005 04:20
  • CONNY129
sometimes , if we Chinese offer a dinner to others at home ,usually we would like to say "forgive my poor cook skill,I did not prepared enough " and so on ,in fact ,the host prepared the food elaborately,and it is just a courtliness ,never misunderstanding as if the host is really ignored you.
Oct 9, 2005 04:24
  • CALIFORNIA
I think "Walk Slow"includs "Blessing and Take good care!"or "Safety and propitious".
Oct 9, 2005 04:43
  • RITA
I am sure many people from foreign countires confused by Chinese traditional proprieties or Chinese way of being modest and humilities.
Oct 9, 2005 06:06
  • KYLE
Conny had mentioned somthing about food. I regulary go out and eat with Chinese people. At almost every meal the host will order soo many dishes that that to finish them all would be impossible. This is somthing I don't understand. Any explinations? Does it have anything to do with face?
Oct 9, 2005 09:55
  • JABAROOTOO
And here's another one that was initially confusing too.

Ni chi fan le ma Have you eaten yet?

This was a common form of greeting instead of asking 'How are you?'

Can anyone shed some light on both this.

I'm very interested in this considerable over ordering and hence seeming waste of good food.

In my country I grew up in an era when we were constantly encouraged to eat all our food - we were told there were people in both India and China starving. While this was in fact the case during the '60 and '70, it meant little to us as children but now I cannot get used to this excessive ordering at almost every meal??????

Any explanations !!!!!!!
Oct 9, 2005 20:09
  • RITA
Most people in our parents' age have experienced the famine in the beginning of 1960s. But evidently "Chi Fan Le Ma" has much longer history. One thing is certain, lacking of food among most of the roughscuff in history has (≈had) been constantly existed. AS one of the basic demands of human beings, eating or not became the major concern between families, relatives and friends. Later, even when food is no longer the problem, "Chi Fan Le Ma" handed down from generation to generation as a kind of greeting. Greeting only, people say this to you do not necessarily intend to invite you for a meal:)

I believe that everything or phenomenon has its history reason. ;-)
Oct 9, 2005 20:33
  • CONNY129
if I hang out with some new friends ,I also will order more than I did as usual ,because I hope my friend could have a good meal and it is kind-minded to please a friend .But if I have dinner with some close friends ,we just order what we like :) still it does not always work ,for my friend hope I can fully enjoy the meal ,so sometimes they order more for me .
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: WALK SLOW
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code