Menu
Admission fees to tourist spots
Oct 19, 2005 22:21
  • SEAGULL
Most tourist spots charges a certain amount of admission fees. Some places charge as high as 50 yuan or higher for the admission. In order to earn the tourist dollars, locals may be affected. Shouldn't the authorities lower the price so that more locals can benefit and enjoy the sceneries and the facilities.
Oct 19, 2005 22:32
  • CONNY129
that really depends on the case
take Tang Paradise for example , admission fee RMB 50 for adult is not high ,if you see how grand and fantastic the royal garden is and how incredible and stunning the water screen movie could be ,you'll know it is really worth the money .
but for some other spots , as far as Ocean World is concerned ,RMB 100 for adult is a little expensive .
Oct 19, 2005 22:37
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,conny,you are right!In Beijing,for the Forbidden City,about 60RMB,Summer Palace,about 40RMB(30RMB???)They are not expensive!But in Kaifeng,Longting Park,there was only two lakes and a modern-old building,need 35RMB,too expensive:-(

Oct 21, 2005 01:36
  • KYLE
I think its outragous what they charge. The waterfall I most recently went to cost an outstanding 80 RMB! All of the guide books are incorrect. The price for Yunnans scenic spots just continues to go up(Stone forest, Dali, Ect.) . Most scenic spots in Canada are free. I understand the government wants to make some money from tourists but I dont understand how the can neglect their own people. For the average Chinese who makes maybe 1000 a month a fee like this would kill them. Although I like to complain about this, what can we really do?
Oct 21, 2005 07:46
  • SEAGULL
So it seems that the locals are being sacrificed for the sake of the tourist dollar. It is sad. I have heard from the tourist guide that most locals really cannot afford to visit the expensive tourist spots. Another reason could also be the availability of similar locations that are nearby and its free. This is especially so where scenic mountains and lakes are concerned. In a way, the locals are not so deprived and I'm happy for them.
Oct 21, 2005 08:28
  • ELCABRON
In some places they do price discrimination so that tourists pay more than locals. As far as I remember the Bamboo forest in Hangzhou was free for my resident friend whereas I had to pay.
For the Yungang Caves I think Chinese paid less, if at all (might have been locals though).

At least soldiers (former and active), students and memebers of the party or government workers have reduced or free entrance to most places - this is quite a share of the population.
Oct 23, 2005 23:06
  • CONNY129
price discrimination is reasonable in certain aspects . as far as tourists are concerned,when they get to the tourist spot ,they lack of demanding elasticity to the price ,if the government rise up the admission fee ,they will get more profits ,if they lessen the price ,they will lose a considerable amount of money ,so why don't they benefit from price discrimination ?
Oct 24, 2005 03:03
  • ELCABRON
I didnt say it is not reasónable as long as the surplus amount of money helps to protect the sight.

I just said that the locals are NOT being "sacrificed"

But thanks for your bachelor/google explaination of price discrimination;-)
Oct 24, 2005 03:17
  • CONNY129
I haven't seen the admission fee is different between foreigners and locals ,I just saw the difference between the old,soldier ,student ,children,tour guide and journalist.
btw ,my major is economy:P
Oct 24, 2005 03:32
  • ELCABRON
Yes it was, before you went to TC as tourguide. But who is not a party member, student, soldier, government employee.......journalist or tourguide?
It is already quite a share of the population.

And my Hangzhou example shows that every local had free access.
At the Yungang I didnt see Chinese pay, too. Whereas tourists paid 50 Yuan.

I dont say it is wrong, I paid 50 Yuan happily because I thought it helps preserving the sensitive sandstone sculptures for coming generations. (at least the ones that havent been stolen or destroyed yet)
Oct 24, 2005 03:33
  • RITA
As far as I know, Gansu Provincial Museum has price difference between foreigners and locals. 15 yuan for foreigners and 5 for locals.:)
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Admission fees to tourist spots
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code