Menu
Overland China by bus/train
Oct 24, 2005 07:47
  • DONNAJANCA
How difficult is it to travel overland China only by bus and/or train. I will start in Lhasa after trekking in Nepal and will have about 2 months. I'd also like to hit Mongolia. Does anyone have any great intinerary ideas?
Oct 24, 2005 11:12
  • CALIFORNIA
Mongolia Republic or Inner-Mongolia???

Dec 5, 2005 07:47
  • DONNAJANCA
Mongolia Republic.
Dec 5, 2005 08:01
  • CALIFORNIA
From China to Mongolia Rep.,you'd better from Beijing to Ulan Baater,or from Huhhot to Ulanbaater,and the border city in china name Erlianhot,and Zhamenwude in Mongolia,and then across Sejnsand,arrived the capital!

You have to change train in Erlianhot!

Jan 7, 2006 06:31
  • DONNAJANCA
Thank you so much. Now...question. I am planning on going in December/January. Is that ridiculous as far as the weather is concerned? Should I change my entire plan and hit it in May/June????
Jan 7, 2006 07:07
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,Dec and Jan were too cold to travel,usually,the cold air comes from there!I think July and August are the best time!

Jan 7, 2006 22:54
  • MISHEN
It'll be very cold in all of those places. If you're prepared for that, it's very beautiful. The Mongolian grasslands are best seen in the summer, but the winter paradise is also beautiful - up to you.

Travelling within China on train and bus is very convenient. There's no train from Lhasa yet - that won't be available for a couple of years yet. Busses go between Lhasa and some more central cities in China.

Where are you planning to hit first? Any general ideas about the direction you're travelling in? Have you been able to find reasonable maps of the region to check on distances yet?
Jan 8, 2006 09:05
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,guys,

The train from Beijing to Lhasa will be run on 1st,July,2006,about 48 hours!and it will pass Qinghai Lake,Kekexili,Tanggulashan,......many beautiful places!
Jan 13, 2006 07:01
  • DONNAJANCA
Hi there. Actually my plans might have changed. I am going to South America first...so I'll be arriving in China around May. Hong Kong will probably be my entry point. Now, I need to know the cost of a visa. I want to go up to Mongolia...so I'm assuming I'll need a multi-entry visa? Right? What if I want to stay longer than 30 days...which is what I'm reading about for the visa? And.....I'm going BUDGET!! I've read many different things about cost....what is the real scoop?
Jan 13, 2006 19:28
  • CALIFORNIA
WOW,Latin America,it is my favorite place!Have a nice trip!

Yes,you need a visa for Mongolia!and I hope you can go there on July or August,it is the best time!
Jan 18, 2006 03:30
  • DONNAJANCA
Hi there. Do you have any ideas as far as an itinerary? I want to spend two months in China and Mongolia. Reading up on it is great....yet OVERWHELMING!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Overland China by bus/train
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code