Menu
Overland China by bus/train
Jan 18, 2006 19:14
  • MAY001
IMO, u can go to Guangzhou from Hongkong first. Then take a train to Kunming, the spring city of China. u can go to Dali as a side trip. u can get in Tibet from Kunming. But u need Travel PERMIT to Tibet!! so u have to ask an agency to help u.

Fly to Chengdu from Lhasa and then take a train to Xi'an. Then u can take a train to Beijing, and later to Ulan Baater.
Otherwise, u can take a coach to Lanzhou from Lhasa and then go direct to Hohhot!

That will be a crazy journey!Haha.
Jan 18, 2006 20:25
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,donnajanca,

I think I should think over about your route!and I will tell you later!

But I think 1.5 months in China,and 15 days for Mongolia is a good choice:-)

Have a nice trip!
Feb 1, 2006 02:53
  • DONNAJANCA
Hi guys! This train from Beijing to Lhasa may change everything!! I think it sounds great....and will have to research a little more. I appreciate all the suggestions and welcome MORE !! Thanks again!!
Donna
Feb 1, 2006 19:16
  • JABAROOTOO
And be sure to arrive after the first week in May - remember it's a big holiday and travelling is much more crowded and very hard to get tickets for trains etc.
Feb 2, 2006 19:54
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,donna,it will change so many things,I love it!

I agree with Jabarootoo:-)
Feb 10, 2006 03:47
  • DONNAJANCA
Oh wow...I look at a map of China and I read my book....and I get so overwhelmed yet excited I have to put it down. what do you know about the silk road leading west toward Pakistan and then veering off to go down to Tibet(no longer silk road). It says it's very hard travel....but has anyone done it? I want to see the real China....and just briefly get my feet wet on the east side! Also...what do you know about the Trans Siberian railway through Mongolia to Moscow (from Beijing). Can you get off anywhere....can you stretch the trip to 2 or three 3 weeks jumping on the train the week after you arrive in Ulaan Batar? Is that the best way to see Mongolia? I want to hang out in the small rural places.
Feb 10, 2006 19:05
  • CALIFORNIA
1."what do you know about the silk road leading west toward Pakistan and then veering off to go down to Tibet(no longer silk road). It says it's very hard travel....but has anyone done it? "

I haven't done it!But I think it is a hard way,because of the high mountain.
-----------------------------------------------
2."I want to see the real China....and just briefly get my feet wet on the east side! Also...what do you know about the Trans Siberian railway through Mongolia to Moscow (from Beijing)."

We called it the frist Asia-Euro Mainland Bridge,from Beijing across Ulaan Baatar,to Moscow,I think Irkutsk(Baykal Lake was amazing), Krasnoyarsk,Yekaterinourg.......
-----------------------------------------------
"Can you get off anywhere....can you stretch the trip to 2 or three 3 weeks jumping on the train the week after you arrive in Ulaan Batar? Is that the best way to see Mongolia? I want to hang out in the small rural places. "

Maybe you can get off Sajinsand,it is a small place,but worth to visit!

Have a nice trip!
Feb 10, 2006 22:02
  • LONNYWINN
I just finished a trip alot like the one your planning and its much more difficult than going to thailand or such. Just gotta pay attention to where your goin on the train/bus/taxi or you might end up far, far away from your intended point. Just learn as much of the language as you can and be prepared to be stared at! I cant think of anything funner or safer than getting lost in the middle of China :)
Feb 15, 2006 03:25
  • DONNAJANCA
Fantastic. If you have time...I'd love to hear your route and what you did! I have a friend in China now and he's giving me pointers as well. I'm not afraid of getting lost or dirty. He also said that I should learn as much of the language as possible. Please reply if you have time!! Did you travel the silk road?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Overland China by bus/train
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code