Menu
Top Ten Beautiful Mountains in China
Nov 25, 2005 03:19
  • MAY001
Well, in fact the Chinese National Geography is not a very young magazine. The publishing company had just celebrate their 55 anniversary. But the name is quite new, they changed their names and styles maybe for a better saleroom. I think the magazine is great, but a litte harder for non-geographers.
Anyhow, it is published by the National Geography Association. So it's quite academic.
Nov 25, 2005 12:19
  • NEWBIRD
Hi SAYHITOANT
I don't think it's very accurate to say most youngsters in Singapore prefer the modernised city of China. I was part of a group of ~50 students (youngsters who somehow weren't reluctant to visit China because of its toilet facilites :P) in Beijing for attachment earlier this year. Most of our travel plans during our free time were to visit places with natural scenery or historical value. Given our limited time in China, these places were our priorities. We have enough of city life in Singapore! :) Personally, I visited Taishan, Hengshan, Panshan and Huashan. Actually, my intention was to visit the Wu Yue but I thought it would be better to leave the remaining two for other seasons. I also trekked various sections of the great wall including Simatai->Jinshanling, Jinshanling->Gubeikou and Jiankou->Mutianyu (inspired by http://www.bryanf.com/china/2004/index.htm :P). Certainly, these were the highlights of my stay in China. Such beautiful scenery!

Nov 25, 2005 19:00
  • GAZ07
Are you talking about National Geographic? If so, i also read this magazine! It's full of great stories and photo's from around the world and makes me want to travel every time i read it.

The last edition i bought had an article about Zheng He, the famous mongol/chinese traveller who discovered South East Asia, India and Africa before Christopher Columbus was even born!

I think the magazine is cheaper in China because i pay 55RMB per magazine in the UK! It's also a TV channel.

Peace,
Gaz

Nov 26, 2005 08:49
  • CALIFORNIA
I remembered that Gaz was major in Geography:-)And he is an expert of this field!

Hi,Gaz,do you know this famous pic of the cover?

Nov 26, 2005 19:58
  • GAZ07
Hi Cali,

This is one of, if not the most famous photograph in the world.

I know that it's a girl refugee from Afghanistan and the National Geographic chose to photograph her because her appearance is a mix of the many many past invaders of Afghanistan.

Afghanistan was an important country in history, the cross-roads between east and west. Alexander the Great, the British Empire and, more recently, the Soviets have all invaded Afghanistan. Her features (hair/eyes especially) show this.

That's all i know about it =)

Peace,
Gaz
Nov 27, 2005 02:37
  • CALIFORNIA
Hey,Gaz,
Quote:"because her appearance is a mix of the many many past invaders of Afghanistan.

Afghanistan was an important country in history, the cross-roads between east and west. Alexander the Great, the British Empire and, more recently, the Soviets have all invaded Afghanistan. Her features (hair/eyes especially) show this."

Actually,I can't see so much from he features:-(But from her eyes,I can see aspiration and sad!

I know Afghanistan is a tranfer country in the history,and I am very sad that its famous Buddha has destoryed!!!

Nov 27, 2005 18:38
  • MAY001
Do the two magazines we talked about, I mean Chinese Natiional Geography and National Geography, have some relationship??
Nov 27, 2005 19:06
  • CALIFORNIA
To Peacock:I think there are not relations between them for origins!But CNG should learn sth from ANG!

Nov 28, 2005 00:09
  • MAY001
So u think ANG is better, right? I've never read it. I think maybe I should have a try~_~
Nov 28, 2005 00:23
  • MAY001
There are also other list in the oct. issue: top 5 lakes, top 5 desert, top 5 districts of city, top 10 canyons, top 6 caves, top 8 beaches, top 6 waterfalls and top 10 forest, island, etc.etc.
Page 5 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Top Ten Beautiful Mountains in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code