Menu
stay free
Jan 15, 2006 01:34
  • TAIKILIM
NOT ALL WHITES SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH
your situation is quite common in china - the desire to provide a better education (learning the english language) for your loved one but cannot afford to... please DO NOT think that the english language can only be taught by white looking men/women - in fact most of them are NOT qualified to teach; their limited knowledge of their own mother tongue is basic at best.
i personally know indian nationals, chinese professionals, asians who speak far better english than the english people themselves; and they speak what you call 'pure english' - 'oxford english' or 'queen's english'; and not the bastardized version spoken in the US of A.(if you were a resident of guilin, i would provide FREE english lessons for your son at my smart school for children in guangxi province)
Jan 15, 2006 01:57
  • PHOENIX
Half of the "white people" you see on the road cannot even write their own name in english. They look white but are not native english speakers. They walk around thinking they are a superior breed. Ptui!!!

And more than half the english people have not even pass their "O" level. None of the current english football players in the English Premier League have a "O" level certificate.

Many english people did not even attend school. They speak english but can't even write their own name in english.

And I heard that most of the "white" english teachers in China are not qualified teachers. Their qualification is that they are "white".
Jan 15, 2006 21:15
  • WSTEVE
come on, guys. all of u disappoint me so much. give me some encourage. :)
i know some of foreign teachers in china is uncertificated. u r right, they only have a white or black face. i think i'd better 2 say these again---[i think there r some misunderstanding about" teach". what i mean is give him a language environment, talk with him, teach him something. not very serious, not study systematically with a book. but if u promise 2 teach him, u must take some time everyday with him when u live here. ]
at that time u teach my son, i also can improve my oral too.
Jan 16, 2006 00:20
  • RITA
Hey WSTEVE,

I have the same idea on this with you.

Learn to speak the language first and grammar later,this is the best way to learn a foreign language. Get a foreigner live with you to speak to your child with "GOOD" pronunciation. Then get a Chinese to teach your son grammar, maybe years later - Chinese are usually better grammar teachers than foreigners, imo. :-)

Good luck!
Jan 16, 2006 01:13
  • WSTEVE
HI,rita, thanks for ur encourage. u looks like a chinese, am i right? i admire u went to so many places. i will do the same thing when my son grow up :-)
Jan 16, 2006 19:22
  • MAY001
Hey, I do think u got a good idea to learn English. It's a natural way for ur kid to learn English in daily life!
But just like Rita said, don't take this kind of teaching too serious. Oral & written, reading are different. You will also need Chinese or Western teachers to teach grammar, right?
Anyway, it's a good idea to practise and learn oral English.
Jan 16, 2006 21:02
  • RITA
Hi WSTEVE,

I am a Chinese, inside out, not just look like one, hehe~ Having said that, however, does minority group count?

Wish you a good luck!!

(Sometimes, I HAVE TO travel.)
Jan 17, 2006 01:10
  • WSTEVE
hi,wocca.
thanks for ur introduce of that website. but i saw that and dont think it is suitable for me.
Jan 17, 2006 01:56
  • WSTEVE
where i live is the countryside of guangzhou. it is far from centre of guangzhou about 15~20km. u can see few foreigner here. so there r no foreign cafes or guesthouses here
Jan 17, 2006 08:24
  • WSTEVE
most of the foreigner in guangzhou is being here for bussiness. i think they dont want 2 live in countryside unless they have a car. so i focus on the people who don't live in here
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: stay free
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code