Menu
Safe to travel alone???
Jan 13, 2006 11:20
  • JAVAGURL
Hello everyone! Is it safe to be traveling alone in China? I've heard many stories about travelers in foreign countries good and bad. What is your take on it?? I really want to visit China, but everyone's working =(

Also, if I bring any electrical appliances like laptop, mobile chargers, etc, do I have to buy a converter?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 13, 2006 19:19
  • CALIFORNIA
I think it is safe in most places!and why do you want to buy a converter???
Jan 13, 2006 20:12
  • RITA
Usually, it's safe traveling around China, espcially for foreigners :P. But be careful.

Search Jabarootoo's posts, she has writen a lot about this topic:-)

Yes, if you bring any electrical appliances you'd better get a converter.

This page might be helpful:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/bring.htm
Jan 13, 2006 22:12
  • JELLYFISH
Don't travel alone anywhere in the world. What is safe and not safe is very subjective. You can get molested and raped even in some of the most safest place in the world. Hotel rooms are never safe in the first place and China hotels do not have security personnel.
Jan 15, 2006 00:53
  • BENJAMIN
Thieves are everywhere in China. If you look like a westerner you will be a target. I think from your previous post you are part of the ubiquitous china gene pool, so this will help you. However, you still have to keep a close eye on valuables. Try to look like you haven't got much money. Leave your lap-top at home unless its insured. If you are visiting the country side using public transport these will be your main areas for concern.
Regarding rape, assault and fights of any Kind. I've not come across anything here to spark any concern, despite the dirt and squalid aesthetics. Generally speaking, they are a family orientated people, and care for one another. I see 4-5 year old children working in shops (not exploited ankle bound slaves for those fostering unfounded concern), catching the bus by themselves, playing in the street and out shopping. so in comparison to lots of western countries with all our neatly rowed houses, clean streets and expensive gadgets, the place seem to be a whole lot safer. Just trust your gut feeling and you will be ok.

B
Jan 15, 2006 02:58
  • JAVAGURL
Thank you all for the inputs! Even though my friends and family are busy, I feel that I shouldn't let this opportunity pass me by since it's hard to get a vacation. So alone or not, I will enjoy this trip! Got to brush up on my chinese though. Planning to join those tour packages. Heard it's way fun! More comments are welcome and thanks again for replying!
Jan 15, 2006 04:33
  • CHIIIINITA
If you're from Europe, you just will need an adaptor, but if you're American you will need both, a convertor and an adaptor!

In any case, if you're travelling alone, I think China is the best country to do it!
It's very safe here! Obviously you should try not to walk alone in dark streets, and blablabla...you know, the basic things you even wouldn't do in you city!
If you finally decide to come, you have to know that you're going to be a point of attenction just by the fact of being a foreigner, that means that people will stare you all the time...but don't be afraid of that, if you smile them, they'll smile you back!

Travelling with friends is obviously funnier than going by yourself, but why to stay at home just because anybody can go with you? I wouldn't miss the chance...
Jan 15, 2006 08:16
  • JUUGE
Some people like to travel in groups some alone. But in small group you see more local lifestyle. This is why I often travel alone. If I like to meet my old friends I stay home...

Is it really dangerous to travel alone? I don't think so. See this link:

http://www.rosiearoundtheworld.co.uk/

I met Rosie in the middle of Sibir, middle of nowhere, should say :) in summer 2004. She was running round the worl alone... and she is still on the road. Her biggest risk is traffic (cars) and it doesn't depend if she is running alone or not.

Jukka

Jan 15, 2006 08:38
  • CALIFORNIA
She was so cool,jukka:-)
Jan 15, 2006 17:23
  • JAVAGURL
Again, thank you all for replying! Thank you Jukka for the wonderful site. Such an inspiration! Although I don't think I have the guts like Rosie to run around the world alone, she inspires me to at least try. It's like, if she can do all that, then I can certain do China hehe =) I guess I was looking for some reassurance. And I totally agree with Juuge on "If I like to meet my old friends I stay home..." This is another reason I want to explore around. There are so many great things in this world and it would be a shame to not do anything when the opportunity presents itself! As the old saying goes "LIVE A LITTLE!" =)

I also have another concern. Instead of making a new post, I'll just ask here:

ARE THERE CERTAIN LAWS AND RULES IN CHINA I SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO?

I certainly don't want to get in trouble there in the midst of my fun advertures...

Thanks again!
Jan 15, 2006 20:13
  • JABAROOTOO
Everyone seems to have given you good positive feedback. Yes it is safe to travel alone and if you can speak the languange that is a big bonus especially if you want to avoid too many tour groups.
You may find other travellers who you can share a day or two with as you go.

Be careful with your valuables and if you don;t need to bring them then don't. especially a laptop. You can get access to internet cafe wherever you spend the night is most big cities and towns.

As far as customs and regulations go. There is way too much to cover here. You will find some general information at you Chinese Embassy website and the best reccommendation is to be a good ambassador for your own country and try to be sensitive if something does come up that seems to have offended others. The Chinese are pretty tolerant and forgiving.

Power in China is 220V and you can use a tri pin plug(or the two angled pin version of this) or two flat pin plugs. You may not need a converter if you own appliances have the same and are a 240V.

Enjoy you trip.
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Safe to travel alone???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code