Menu
Safe to travel alone???
Jan 15, 2006 22:05
  • WSTEVE
u will come 2 guangzhou? u can live in my home.:)
but i have 2 tell u that guangzhou is more unsafe than other cities in china.
Jan 18, 2006 02:15
  • BENJAMIN
With regards to my last post. I take back the part about fighting - last night i encountered my first bout of Chinese violence.
I was having a quiet drink with a friend in a small restaurant.
One police man and an army officer were sitting at a table next to us - suddenly all hell let loose. The policeman let rip, on a man at the same table wearing plain clothes.
First, there was a barrage of glasses bottles and bowls. lots of smashed glass and food plastered the walls. Shouting and yelling proceeded.
I've never seen such an episode!
Jan 19, 2006 01:58
  • JAVAGURL
Again, my inquiring mind must ask another question. So far, I have collected enough information about joining a tour package which will bring me to various cities: Beijin, Shanghai, etc. I tried to do some weather searches on yahoo, but since I don't know half of the places listed on the flyer (in chinese), I don't know what to search for in English. For sure, I know Beijing is cold...maybe snowing right now.

Exactly how cold is China at this time of the year? In California, USA, although cold, we're in mid sixties during the day and high fifties at night.

Thanks again for those who reply to my previous questions! ^_^ You all have been a big help!

Jan 19, 2006 19:55
  • CALIFORNIA
Pls don't worried about the weather Javagurl,and Beijing is not very cold,and there was no snow now:-(

Usually,the temperature about -5---0C,and you should put on cotton or feather clothes:-)

Have a nice trip!

BTW,I love california~~~~~~

Jan 20, 2006 00:37
  • RITA
Hi Javagurl,

Here is a link in this site offering detailed climate and temperatures of major cities in China, click the specific city for year round climate.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/index.htm
Jan 20, 2006 02:15
  • JAVAGURL
Thank you Rita for the link! I happened to bump into that while exploring this website =) This is a great website for people like me who's setting out to see the world for the first time hehe. Also with this interactive messagging system, I was able to get answers quickly! For everyone else reading my post, please be patient with me if I ask questions that have already been asked in this forum. I have not had the opportunity to fully explore this website. So far so good! At least I am learning a little bit more each day before my actual trip to China soon!

Here is another question:

I've tried pressing the "train icon" on the top of this website to find out transportation by train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong. However, I was not able to find direct tranport from Guangzhou to Hong Kong because the "travel to" section wouldn't allow me to choose Hong Kong as a destination. Did I input the wrong information??
Jan 20, 2006 02:31
  • RITA
The site TCG should update its infomation:-)

The trains from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (Kowloon)

Guangzhou to Kowloon

T811 8:35 - 1022
T801 9:40 - 11:20
T813 10:55 - 12:37
T815 13:00 - 14:47
T817 14:00 - 15:48
T803 14:53 - 16:25
T819 15:45 - 17:36
T821 16:55 - 18:41
T823 18:20 - 20:07
T825 20:20 - 22:12
T827 21:23 - 23:00

The cost is from 300 to 330 cny.

There are a lot of options! :-)
Jan 20, 2006 10:38
  • MORCAPALA
oh yes, it is very very safe to travel alone in China. And much easier that you could think, also. Because everybody help you, specially young people who like to train their english. If you are a girl, no problem: they will look at you with admiration and respect. Go, go, go!!!!
Jan 20, 2006 10:41
  • MORCAPALA
the most important: NEVER make them "lose their face", as they say; always be very respectful, quiet and polite.
Jan 20, 2006 13:54
  • JAVAGURL
Thank you Rita soooo sooo much for the helpful information! Just what I needed! TCG rocks! =)

Although I am looking forward to visiting China, the package deal I am about to sign up for over here is beginning to add up. At first, it looks cheap, then comes the tax and other fees. $270 USD extra for one person, plus additional $25 USD for traveling on the weekend (which they purposedly set...so I don't even have a choice). All in all, I don't know if I should join the package tour or just buy a round-trip airfare to China first.

What is better???

Joining a tour group before leaving to China?

OR

Fly to China first, then join from there?
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Safe to travel alone???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code