Menu
Chinese Wedding
Jan 20, 2006 05:51
  • JUJUBOO
I am invited to my Chinese friend's wedding in Shanghai - what should I wear?? I have no idea what to expect - any hints/tips?
Ju
Jan 20, 2006 07:40
  • BARI
Business suit would be too formal if you are not the best man. You can wear a nice casual suit, coat, whatever, not too formal and not too casual.

***Barry Yu & Exciting Shanghai***
Coming soon, to a Shanghai near you...
http://spaces.msn.com/members/bariyu/
Jan 20, 2006 08:29
  • JUJUBOO
Thank you Barry. However, I am a girl so wouldn't wear a suit. I assume it's the same rule for girls?
Jan 20, 2006 08:48
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,I think so,Jujuboo!

And you clothes shouldn't formal:-)
Jan 20, 2006 09:44
  • JUJUBOO
Ok cool California!

Any other hints or advice? What should I buy as a present?
Jan 20, 2006 10:18
  • CALIFORNIA
You know,China was so large,and the wedding is difference from everywhere!and I don't know where is your friend!

But for common,we usually give the new couple a "red package"(Hong Bao),and put money in it:-)

But you are a foreigner,I think you can give a gift to her or him!and the gift needn't dear,but meaningful!

Good luck!
Jan 20, 2006 10:35
  • JUJUBOO
The wedding is in Shanghai.

Thank you for your help.

I am very excited about this wedding!
x
Jan 20, 2006 10:56
  • CALIFORNIA
LOL,yes,it is very interesting!!!

Enjoy it:-)
Jan 21, 2006 02:26
  • ETHNICEAST
i think you should be dressed to eat, drink, celebrate and not outshine the bride and groom...
of course you have to consider the weather, if the weather is super cold, how you can dress too little..

Jan 21, 2006 20:57
  • JAVAGURL
Hello there! I don't know how much difference Chinese weddings are in China as oppose to Chinese weddings in America. I ones I went to in the states are pretty similiar to the ones back home. Suprisingly, Chinese couples here continues to celebrate their big day the traditional way.

Here's what you can expect in a Chinese wedding:

-- You can wear something casual. If you like the QiPao (oriental slit dress), you can wear that too. A nice blouse with slacks or skirt should be ok. Make sure you're warm too especially at this time of the year.

-- in terms of gift, get couples anything you think may fit their newly wed liftstyle. Afterall, it's the thoughts that count. I'm sure most weddings are like that no matter their culture. If you are planning to get jewelry, keep in mind, most Chinese are fond of jade. It is believed that the longer you wear the jade, the greener it gets. That green color symbolize prosperity and health.

-- before you enter the dinner reception, you will need to sign in. Sometimes it's a guest book. Sometimes it's an embroidered cloth. There is also a place for you to put your gift for the couple.

-- always make sure you have "red envelope (hon bao)" for the couple during TEA TOASTING. During the dinner reception, the bride will change outfits and walk around with the groom along with close family members to each table toasting their guests. That's when you give them the red enveope, thank them for the wonderful event, and wish them well.

That's all I can think of hehe. Enjoy!

Jan 21, 2006 21:09
  • JAVAGURL
In case you don't know what "red envelope" is, it is a small palm size red envelope (hence the name lol). You put money inside and seal it. When I atten the ones in the in states, I usually put about 20 USD in there. I don't know how much other people put, but hey, I'm a teenager! hehe. The whole concept of that is to show the couple gratitude for inviting and give them your blessing. Don't worry if you didn't give much; again, it's the thoughts that counts!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese Wedding
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code