Menu
How to take the subway to(and many other qns)
Jan 31, 2006 03:00
  • SGGAL
i will be visiting beijing for 3days. i have so many questions,please help.

Qn 1: i would like to visit the following places. is it possible to take the subway to these places? i find taking the buses quite complicated.
1. summer Palace
2. Great Wall (badaling)
3. temple of Heaven
4. Ming Tombs
5. Beijing zoo(if i have time)
6. Marco Polo Bridge(if i have time)

Qn2: i will be living in China YHA Fiy Ying International Hostel. Has anyone lived here before or heard about it? any comments? Is the place safe? because i have a company notebook which i can't afford to lose it. I believe this hostel is walking distance to Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.

Qn3: i will be taking a domestic flight from Shanghai(after my biz trip) to Beijing, which airlines is recommended? safty is the most important. I had considered taking the train, but is 13hrs long! It seems like there's only 1 train that goes from shanghai putong to beijing railway, am i right?

Qn4: Where can i find good information on the buses? esepically the bus stops and prices

Qn5: i would like to buy some DVDs home and memory flash for my cell phone,which place would be good to buy? i prefer department stores or shops, not those street markets kind.

you can reply me at hotmail.com|sing_gal_78
thanks alot!!
Feb 1, 2006 11:21
  • NEWBIRD
Qn 1:
> Most of the places you mentioned are not inside Beijing city and thus, not accessible by the subway. It is better to take a long distance bus or a taxi if you can afford it.

1. summer Palace
> I assume you are talking about the summer palace in Chengde (Hebei). A bus or train journey should take around 3-4 hrs.

2. Great Wall (badaling)
> ~ 1-2 hr bus journey

3. temple of Heaven
> Located near Chongwenmen subway station

4. Ming Tombs
> Located near Badaling great wall

> Should be located near Che Gong Zhuang subway station. But I don't believe it is within walking distance.

> The bridge is located southwest of the city. You have to take a bus or a cab. It's not too far.

Qn2, Qn3:
> Maybe other forumers can answer you better.

Regarding trains, you can check for schedules at http://train.chinamor.cn.net/zztt.asp . From what I see, there are quite a few trains.

Qn4:
> http://www.bjbus.com/index.htm

Qn5:
> You should be able to find shops selling DVDs fairly easily. Memory cards can be found in places such as Hailong building at Zhong Guan Cun.
Feb 3, 2006 22:22
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
I can Anwer some of your questions:
Qn 1: Take a bus is a better choice!! You can check this: http://www.bjbus.com/english/default.htm
1. summer Palace
Bus 907, 375, 801, 808, 732, 394, 718 can take you to Summer Palace (颐和园)

2. Great Wall (badaling)
Bus 919 can take you to Badaling (八达岭长城). You can also take tourist bus. Take No. 1 at Front Gate. Take No. 2 at Beijing Railway Station. Take Lateral No. 2 at the west gate of Beijing History Museum. Take No. 3 at East Bridge. Take No. 4 at Xizhi Gate or Beijing Zoo.

3. temple of Heaven
Take bus 34,6,35 to Temple of Heaven(天坛)

4. Ming Tombs
Tourist bus 1,2,3,4,5 can drive you to Ming Tombs(十三陵)

Bus 7, 27, 103, 105, 111 can take you to Beijing Zoo (北京动物园)

The bridge is about 20 km away of the city center. You can take 309,339,313 to get there.

Qn2: I'm sorry I haven't been to the hostel you mentioned. But I suggest you to ask the staff to keep the notebook. Don't lock the notebook in the room.

Qn3: There are many trains from Shanghai to Beijing. Check: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/display1.asp?from1=shanghai&to1=beijing&Submit32=SUBMIT

Qn4: I've told you in the first question~~

Qn5: Almost every department stores sell the things you want. Enjoy shopping!

Feb 6, 2006 22:37
  • JABAROOTOO
All the airlines in China are pretty safe. Unless you have a frequent flyer card with one of them there is not much point in being choosy. Just get the best deal you can.
Post a Reply to: How to take the subway to(and many other qns)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code