Menu
Lazhou La Mien - - -> "hand pulled noodles"
Feb 5, 2006 16:08
  • RINA
Specifically I am writing about the La Zhou La Mian, I am doing research on “hand pulled noodles”
I am currently involved in a restaurant project for "hand pulled noodles", I am in San Francisco, USA, any information will be appreciated!,
Did anyone get a chance to try the noodles, and what part of the city were you in, do you recall where I can locate Master chefs for hand pulled noodles” I appreciate any comments, thank you.

Regards,

Feb 5, 2006 18:32
  • RITA
Hi Rina,

I lived in Lanzhou for several years, I really liked the city, well, part of the reason surely was Beef Noodles - Niu Rou Mian. More than just tried, Beef Noodle was my daily food!

First of all, nobody in the city call the food "Lanzhou La Mian", only people in other places or regions do that. We don't say "La Mian" or "hand pulled noodles”, either. Only "Niu Rou Mian", though you can tell the chef not to put any beef in your bowl. Talk about Beef Noodle bowls, they are HUGE.

I have traveled a lot around the country, in almost every city, there are Beef Noodle restaurants - almost all with the name "正宗兰州拉面" or "Authentic Lanzhou Beef Noodles", well, even the restaurants in Lanzhou never say they are "anthentic". :-) The truth is I have never found the Beef Noodles were so delicious as those made in Lanzhou in any other cities, even not in Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, etc.
I heard there is some kind of special ingredient only produced in Lanzhou(or near Lanzhou) that could not transported or shipped to other places, I never know what exactly the ingredient was. That's secret, I guess, handed down from Beef Noodle masters to prentices.

BTW, Beef Noodle is muslim food, usually Hui people run the restaurants.

If you need any information, please contact me, I may go back to Lanzhou anytime. :-)
Feb 5, 2006 19:58
  • RITA
I heard they use opium shells in the soup, not enough to make you addicted to it, but good for health.

Is that right that taking a tiny little bit of opium good for health?:-)

They also put ashes of a kind of grass/herb to add flavor.
Feb 5, 2006 20:12
  • RITA
The beef noodles are available everywhere of the city, almost every small muslim restaurant offers truly anthentic beef noodles, there are a lot of master chefs.
The big star-rated hotels or famous restaurant offer the food, too, But my experiences were the beef noodles in big hotels were not so good, they made the food too lite to change flavor to cope with the foreign stomaches. Furthermore, they are much more expensive!!
Feb 5, 2006 20:21
  • CALIFORNIA
QUOTE:"I heard they use opium shells in the soup, not enough to make you addicted to it, but good for health.

Is that right that taking a tiny little bit of opium good for health?:-) "

I don't know it is good for health whether or not,but I think there was another function---Make you addiction on it!!!
Feb 5, 2006 20:25
  • RITA
"---Make you addiction on it!!! "

Really? I don't think so, coz opium (or opium products) is extensively included in the medicines to cure flu/cold and stomach troubles. :P
Feb 5, 2006 20:31
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Rita,it is only joke!!!

And I know opium was good for toothache,and the eggplant also contains the similar component to opium.
Feb 5, 2006 20:39
  • RITA
Oh, I figure out at last why i am so addicted to eggplants:-) haha~

When I was in Dongbei, we had a very small garden - maybe too small to be called "garden", my parents planted a few opium every year for decoration, the opium flowers are so beautiful!

Feb 5, 2006 20:43
  • CALIFORNIA
Yes,I like the flower too!

And the same to you on loving eggplant!!!I think most persons have this condition.
Feb 6, 2006 21:22
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Rina,
You can get these noodles just about anywhere in China. I've eaten them in Sichuan and Gongdong province. While we ate noodles in Lanzhou, I couldd't be sure they were hand made.

They are delicious and all the dishes I have had have come with Lamb/Mutton and green vegitalbes and herbs.

The best part is watching them make them and cook them for you. One of my friends had a try once. Not as easy at it looks.
lots of restuarants are jusr 'hole in the wall' but I prefer them because they are generally cleaner.

I think I've got a photo in my album from Langzhong Sichuan. I'll check and tell you where to look or if not I can post another one when I get my photos back from a friend.

Hope you get more information that is useful
Cheers
Feb 6, 2006 21:26
  • CALIFORNIA
I have tried to do it myself,but failed:-(
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Lazhou La Mien - - -> "hand pulled noodles"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code