Menu
Who will pay on a date?
Feb 12, 2006 21:01
  • JANEJANE
When a guy dates me I expect him to pay for everything. Is my thinking out-dated?
Feb 12, 2006 21:09
  • RITA
Interesting topic!

I heard a story about a couple in college, the young man and woman dated for quite some time, but as many campus romances ended, they broke up at last. The "amazing" thing was that the guy threw all the bills (on drinks, icecreams, roses, snacks, etc with exact time and amount) back to the girl's face and claim for some "refund".

Isn't that weired?
Feb 12, 2006 21:13
  • PINETREE

I may not represent most men, but of cos as a man I would pay for my dates. However, after a few dates of the same gal, an occasional gesture from my date to share part of the bill would be welcome and touching.
Feb 12, 2006 21:36
  • PINETREE
I think there is no hard/fast rule on this - it depends on many factors.
I remember an actual case of 2 young men going on a blind date with 2 of my lady colleagues. The men were not working yet. At dinner (which the men were expected to pay), the ladies ordered many items as well as expensive foodstuff. The men were so horried that they resorted to quietly & unilaterally canceling a few of the items when the ladies went to the washroom after ordering the food. The ladies were disappointed when they found out that they were served less than they ordered !
That was the first and last of their date.
Consideration has to be exercised by both parties. A considerate gesture will be most appreciated esp by the paying party.
Feb 13, 2006 00:29
  • MISHEN
I'll always,always pay if I date a girl - but I'll never date a girl who enjoys being paid for too much...

Many girls have a very traditional idea that they can be 'bought' by the guy who shows he's willing to pay. Sorry, there are better girls around.
Feb 13, 2006 00:44
  • CALIFORNIA
The same to you,mishen:-)
Feb 13, 2006 00:55
  • PINETREE
Hey, how about some comments from the local boys & gals pl ?
Am trying to date some Chinese gals. So I also wish to know the practice here !
Feb 13, 2006 01:03
  • PINETREE
There are female "mealcards" around, there are also gigolos too.
In our country, it is quite common for foreign men to go out with local gals & expecting the gals to provide everything - from meals to bodies ! We call them "cheapskates" and the gals, "pinkerton" or "Sarong party gals".
So Jane - are u clearer now or more confused ? hahaha !!
Feb 13, 2006 08:44
  • DRACULA
Dracula don't date so Dracula don't pay.
Feb 13, 2006 20:23
  • ETHNICEAST
i think it should be quite straight forward that whoever invites or initiates, pays, regardless whatever the intention or agenda of the dating. just be careful when the "sisters and aunties" and who else starts to show up...
Feb 13, 2006 20:46
  • CONNY129
generally speaking ,who invites should pay .
but if u want him to pay for everything everytime ,he would not dare to invite you out again unless he is your father or husband .

you'd better confirm who will pay at first if you are not familiar ,it would avoid unexpected embarrassement .
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Who will pay on a date?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code