Menu
English names for Chinese movies
Feb 21, 2006 22:08
  • PEA28COCK
Nowaday most of Chinese movies have their English names. I am a movie fan, therefore I like to pay attention to the English version names. In my opinion, some are really creative and beautiful, for example, In a Mood for Love, Fearless. Some are really dull, such as A Chinese Ghost Story.

What is your opinion, guys?
Feb 22, 2006 07:56
  • CALIFORNIA
For example,Perhaps Love=如果爱,but I think 也许是爱 will be better!

Feb 22, 2006 18:12
  • RITA
California, the movie you talked about, did it get its English name first and then translated into Chinese?
Feb 22, 2006 18:58
  • CALIFORNIA
Maybe,I don't know!Just felt a little strange.After I watched the movies,I think 也许是爱 is better:-)

Feb 22, 2006 19:04
  • RITA
I believe when CHinese hear the name of the movie "卧虎藏龙", we'll think about some anchoret with superexcellent gest living/ helping others undercover, there is nothing to do with TIGER or DRAGON... ..., well, that's how it usually goes:-); But I am not sure how "卧虎藏龙"'s Egnlish name "CROUCHING TIGER & HIDDEN DRAGON" impressed the English native speakers...
Feb 22, 2006 19:08
  • PEA28COCK
May Crouching Tiger& Hidden Dragon cause some misunderstanding for those English native speakers, I guess. It is just a literal translation. :)
Feb 22, 2006 19:24
  • PEA28COCK
Guys, you must see the movie PEACOCK. It seems that the entire movie has nothing to with this beautiful animal. Probably its name still can cause some misunderstanding for the English native speakers. :)
Feb 22, 2006 19:24
  • RITA
I have the same idea with you one this, Peacock:)

Literal translation is one of the most important ways of transition between the two languages, there is nothing wrong with it, even when it indeed causes misunderstanding or something else..., it's not translation's fault, it is all because of the cultural barrier...
Feb 22, 2006 19:31
  • PEA28COCK
Yes Rita, cultural barrier can never be overstepped. Different people from different cultural background must have almost totally dissimilar understanding toward one thing.

Maybe it is this kind of difference that makes the whole world coloful and fantastic. :) Otherwise it will be very boring, right?
Feb 22, 2006 19:36
  • RITA
That's right, Peacock, I guess all of us here enjoy very much the diversities of cultures of the nowadays world.

Want an example? _TCG Community_!!

Enjoy the cultural barrier, everybody:)ha,ha~~
Feb 23, 2006 01:24
  • CALIFORNIA
Cultural barrier??!!Interesting:-)
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: English names for Chinese movies
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code