Menu
"English" In China
Feb 26, 2006 08:28
  • PINETREE

With English getting popular in China, is there a distinction made between English as spoken by the English and English as spoken by the USAmericans.
Examples - (a) short form for cannot - is pronounced as "cunt" by the English but as "kent" by USAMericans; (b) programme is spelt as such whilst the USAmerican spell it as "program".
The Australians also pronounced their brand of English quite differently - eg "good day" is pronounced as "good daii". The HK people pronounce is as "kood tay". The HKgers generally speaks English English - "kood tay".
And the Singaporeans - "good day" & "program" but spelt as "programme" !!

So which brand of English are the Chinese picking up. Interesting to know.
Feb 26, 2006 09:24
  • ROGERINCA
Pinetree......YIKES !!!!! The short form of Cannot, is pronounced as Can't (cant) in American English !!!! :) :)
Feb 26, 2006 10:07
  • ROGERINCA
I know, many non-English speakers are now thinking……what mean “Yikes” !!!! ???

yikes ('yIks), is an ‘interjection‘. Used to express fear or astonishment.

Feb 26, 2006 10:41
  • PINETREE
Hahaha, Roger - but it is true isn't it - the English way of pronouncing the short form of cannot !!
In HK - English is spoken British style. In China it tends to be USAmerican.
In USA - English is not spoken at all - according to an English writer !
Feb 26, 2006 12:29
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, Pinetree I understand the comments of this English writer which you mention and others like him….. HA HA HA

To some in Britain, to this day (in a snobbishly-friendly rivalry) we Americans are still just a bunch of ‘rabble’, who have 'trashed' the English language !! But you know what they say, ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’ !!! I just laugh at this humor !!!

You can speak the language any way you choose to Pinetree!! Just don’t forget how to spell the pronunciation of [can’t] vs. the other spelling !! HA HA HA

Feb 26, 2006 17:55
  • INMEDIC
Hey Pinetree,

You got Rogerinca confused when you accidently misspelled can't. In America, that word you wrote means a bad word for a girl. You must be careful. There are other words that are shortened, won't instead of will not, and didn't instead of did not. Please don't be offended I wrote this. I just want to help, ok? Bye!
Feb 26, 2006 18:58
  • DRACULA
Internationally there is only one way of recognising english as a language. And that is the "queen's english" or english as spoken by the englishman.

However, all other english is still english. It is a matter or pronounciation and a little deviation from the spelling. Not a big issue.

In the UN, english are spoken differently by all the Nations. They understand each other, don't they?
Feb 26, 2006 19:08
  • RITA
QUOTE: "In HK - English is spoken British style. In China it tends to be USAmerican."

I couldn't agree more. American English is very popular in China, over 80% of English study matetirals are American style, say nothing of the American movies, well, I myself am American movie fan.

As an English learner, I like both American English and British English (except Scotland English and other accents spoken maybe in remote mountains, haha~), but I do not like accents. American English is easier to learn and to understand...

Is there any corner of the world speak "King's or Queen's English" at all? Well, it's language, of course it changes:-)
Feb 26, 2006 19:22
  • CALIFORNIA
In fact,I can't differentiate which accent when chinese speak english.
Feb 26, 2006 22:21
  • PINETREE
That is "a matter of fack" , WOCCA - Filipino's pronunciation !!
Feb 26, 2006 23:41
  • PINETREE
Can't stop u from what impression u wanna have of me. Am not bothered too.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: "English" In China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code