Menu
Mandatory Reading for TCG members?
Mar 1, 2006 11:01
  • SABERXLCR
Sincere or Sarcastic?

Like most members here I have read posts or responses and just shake my head. The interesting thing is that all of us only have a 50% chance of understanding what the person’s tone was when they wrote it!

Below is a link to a interesting article about a study that was done to ‘test’ if you could determine what the ‘tone’ of an email was about. Some highlights of it are:

“According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.”

"People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write"

“Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.”

Perhaps knowing this information may help people here get along better and more importantly, give confidence to those that are reluctant to post..?

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_culture_2
Mar 1, 2006 17:28
  • PINETREE
Indeed tone plays a very important part in communication. Unfortunately in written messages it is very difficult to interprete the writer's tone. As such the writer has to be particularly careful when writing & the reader has to have a very tolerant mindset.
There are many factors influencing the judgement of tone by the reader.
But in a way this makes messages interesting as it is subjective, depending on the mood of the reader.
And after a while, one can detect the tone of the same writer, too.
I enjoy Wocca's tone - he is in his classroom here. Hahaha !!
Mar 1, 2006 17:38
  • BALDEAGLE
I have seen several webs about China including this site. Many are sincere in their response while many poke fun at whatever has been written.
Nothing bad really except sometimes it is hard to distinguish when the joke begins and when does it end. At the end of the day, it is just a past-time for many members.
Mar 1, 2006 17:46
  • BALDEAGLE
There are two faces in each and every one of us. Nobody is truly a sincere person.
He can be a Dr. Jekyl in one moment and Mr. Hyde in the next moment.

Those "Two-Faced" People

We've all seen and experienced them. In our less "professional" moments, perhaps we might have justly or unjustly lashed out at those whom we perceived to be two-faced, hypocritical, skin-deep "wolves in sheep's clothing" who, we feel, are just Judas's in disguise putting on a "show" or facade.

Whatever we call these types of people, perhaps the greatest thing that characterizes our reaction is, "How can they be so different?" "What made them change?" "What a fickle person!" and/or "I never expected that from them!"

We All Are A Jekyl And Hyde

Discounting, of course, more serious mental disorders such as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), now more commonly referred to as Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID), virtually all of us have a "Jekyl and Hyde" aspect to our personalities.

A number of personality inventories recognize and test for this aspect of our personalities, among them the Personal Personality Profile (from Performax Systems). What these inventories recognize is that we generally have two preferred personality modes, a "non-anxious" and an "anxious mode."

Mar 1, 2006 17:51
  • PINETREE

I agree with this. I am like this too. Watch out !!!!
Mar 1, 2006 18:35
  • WCTMAN
A handful of people of contributed to this thread yet only one added an idiotic photo. Why is that? And what does that have to do with mandatory reading?
Mar 1, 2006 19:08
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, WCTMAN !!!!

And as I stated in my post yesterday, under the thread of (Expat's and Foreign Workers)......"I rest my case".....Let others decide for themselves as to what is normal mature social behavior and what is not !!! To use the obscene language that was used within the 'cute' little clip-art, on that thread, is an embarrassment to all who view and use this fine site !!

Thank you !!!!
Mar 1, 2006 19:13
  • BALDEAGLE
Saberxlcr has given us food for thought. Roger & WCT has got it right. All the ill-feelings in this Forum centres on just 1 person. Right?
Mar 1, 2006 20:05
  • ROGERINCA
For many months, before I ever joined TCG as an active member, I could see, feel, and perceive the negative dynamic within the forum, caused by one very dominate personality.

Many on this site do not complain and do not speak up because [maybe] they think their English skill is not at a high enough level to compete and respond. I have, since joining, received many PM’s regarding this issue from other members.

I think many members find themselves somewhat intimidated by the predictable onslaught, via sharp tongued replies and multiple cut-n-paste cartoons, graphics, and photos to demean or cause one, the sure embarrassment, that awaits them if they dare challenge the ‘Emperor’ !!

Well, let me tell you all……I am a western man who is constantly ashamed of what I see here in that regard; however, I am not intimidated by anyone, and I do have a reasonably good command of the written English language, so I will not stand by and see others berated, or intimidated, nor will I submit to this myself !!

To those of you who are of the eastern culture, there is good and bad in every society and culture. Please do not judge or stereotype all of us, based on the behavior of one or a few.

Moreover, do not let yourselves be fooled or misled by those who utilize multiple member ID’s herein to obfuscate what is right and what is wrong. Always rely on your own instincts and judgment, you are all very intelligent in your own right !! No one person has the exclusive lock on this human quality.

Peace, joy and justice for all !!!

Mar 2, 2006 02:48
  • PINETREE
Shall we put this to a vote ? Hahaha !!!
Mar 2, 2006 02:51
  • TASMANIA
Voting for Australian idol?
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Mandatory Reading for TCG members?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code