Menu
The Guide to Bargaining in China…Please?!
Mar 2, 2006 09:17
  • SABERXLCR
I will admit I am somewhat useless when it comes to Chinese bargaining. I know that everything seems to be negotiable. What are the rules of bargaining? Are there any tips or tricks to it? Is there anything that is not negotiable?
Mar 2, 2006 09:35
  • INMEDIC
I think when you like something and they tell you the price you should think how much you would like to pay for it. Start off low and see if the seller goes lower at first and start to walk away and see if they stop you. While visiting my wife who is from Shanghai taught me to bargin when I found something I wanted. Just try it and see what happens.
Mar 2, 2006 09:36
I usually take down 30 percent as a general guide. My Chinese friends said that it should be at least a 50 percent take down if it is in a tourist area. However, whether he agreed to your bargaining or not depends very much on the seller's business for that day, I think.
Mar 2, 2006 18:43
  • CONNY129
INMEDIC explained it well :P usually take down 50 percent at first , if you can't get agreement at the price ,just walk away ,sometimes the seller will stop you and you will get what you want,but sometimes they will let you go :( if you really like the one they sell ,you can walk around to compare the price then go back the shop to bargin again , don't feel embarrassment ,they will happy to meet you again ^_*

after a few times ,you'll master the skill,have fun :)
Mar 2, 2006 19:04
  • RITA
1, Bargaining needs time and patience:-)

2, Never showing your great interest in any particular item, even if you are interested in it very much and will not leave without taking it with you ("Wow!! I love it!!" is a big no-no.). That means do not stick your eyes on anything that you really like.

3, Let the salesperson show you something else before you have a good look at the one you like, this is an important step.

4, When it is finally in your hands, it's time to show your critical nature as much as you can, it's not easy for uncritical people, I know, but if you do not want to pay too much for it. Such as it is a black one, but you prefer a white one (make sure they don't have a white one, hehe~); such as there is a tiny scratch or uneven colors or it is too big or too small, or whatever..., it's time you need to be imaginary very much

5, Usually the salespeople yell a much higher price if you are Caucasian look like - maybe you need to hire a professional dresser in advance :-)). If you can not change your appearance, cut the price by about 50%, 5566 was right that if the shop is near the tourist attractions, at least 50% off will be appropriate.
Mar 2, 2006 19:07
  • MAY001
Rita you are great! I'm always craven when bargaining with sales. I learnt a lot from u!
Mar 2, 2006 19:23
  • CALIFORNIA
Rita was good at bargain,excellent:-)

For me,if I buy sth in Silkstreet Market or Yaxiu Market(Many foreigners go there for shopping),I will cut 50%,can then reduce 10---30RMB.

Good luck!

Mar 2, 2006 19:30
  • RITA
Thank you, May and California!

Maybe I should consider starting my career as a professional bargainer to accompany people shopping and live on commission:-) haha~
--------------------------------

Another tip:
If you buy two or more of the particular item, it will be another advantage to lower the price...
Mar 2, 2006 19:33
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,Rita,

Good idea,you can do it as your part-time job:-)

Mar 3, 2006 18:23
  • SABERXLCR
Thank you all, very good to keep all of this in mind!

RITA...Very Impressive!

How much will you charge me to get me good bargaining in China?!

I know there are a few things I wish to purchase!

Mar 3, 2006 18:32
  • RITA
Hi SABERXLCR,

"Maybe I should consider starting my career as a professional bargainer to accompany people shopping and live on commission:-) haha~" QUOTE myself:)

That was a joke, I am not really planning to change my job:), and 'professional bargainer' won't be my next choice:-)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The Guide to Bargaining in China…Please?!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code