Menu
Lee Ang Win is 'glory for Chinese'
Mar 7, 2006 02:17
  • RITA
Cute and fair answer, Conny:))
Mar 7, 2006 02:19
  • PEA28COCK
I really think that the winning of the best director award of Ann Lee in Oscar gains great honor for all the Chinese. It is known to all that the American Academy Award is the most important and authoritative film award in the world. In addition Ann Lee never forgets to say hello to his Chinese fellows in Chinese in those big moment, like in Oscar and Golden Globe.
Mar 7, 2006 04:17
  • SAYHITOANT
I agree with PEA28COCK. To me, the feeling is the same as when Liu Xiang (did I spell correctly?) won the Olympics Gold.
Mar 7, 2006 08:30
  • SABERXLCR
Born in 1954 in Pingtung, Taiwan, Ang Lee has become one of today's greatest contemporary filmmakers. Ang graduated from the National Taiwan College of Arts in 1975 and then came to the U.S. to receive a B.F.A. Degree in Theatre/Theater Direction at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and a Masters Degree in Film Production at New York University. At NYU, he served as Assistant Director on Spike Lee's student film, Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads (1983). After Lee wrote a couple of screenplays, he eventually appeared on the film scene with Pushing Hands (1992), a dramatic-comedy reflecting on generational conflicts and cultural adaptation, centering on the metaphor of the grandfather's Tai-Chi technique of "Pushing Hands". The Wedding Banquet (1993) as Lee's next film, an exploration of cultural and generational conflicts through a homosexual Chinese man who feigns a marriage in order to satisfy the traditional demands of his Taiwanese parents - it garnered Golden Globe and Oscar nominations, and won a Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival. The third movie in his trilogy of Taiwanese-Culture/Generation films, all of them featuring his patriarch figure Sihung Lung, was Eat Drink Man Woman (1994), which received a Best Foreign Film Oscar nomination. Lee followed this with Sense and Sensibility (1995), his first Hollywood-mainstream movie. It acquired a Best Picture Oscar nomination, and won Best Adapted Screenplay, for the film's screenwriter and lead actress, Emma Thompson. Lee was also voted the year's Best Director by the National Board of Review and the New York Film Critics Circle. Lee and frequent collaborator James Schamus next filmed The Ice Storm (1997) , an adaptation of Rick Moody's novel involving 1970s New England Suburbia. The movie acquired the 1997 Best Screenplay at Cannes for screenwriter James Schamus, among other accolades. The Civil War drama Ride With The Devil (1999) soon followed and received critical praise, but it was Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), that is considered one of his greatest works, a sprawling period film and martial-arts epic that dealt with love, loyalty and loss - it swept the Oscar nominations, eventually winning Best Foreign Language Film, as well as Best Director at the Golden Globes, and became the highest grossing foreign-language film ever released in America. Lee then filmed the comic-book adaptation, Hulk (2003) - an elegantly and skillfully film with nice action scenes. Lee has also shot a short film - Hire, The Chosen (2001) - and is currently working on Brokeback Mountain (2005), a film based on a short story by E.Annie Proulx. Jane Lin is his wife since 1983 and has two children, he is 1.70m tall.
All information from:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000487/bio

Mar 7, 2006 08:33
  • SABERXLCR
Hi All! I agree with you, he is a brilliant man and I have seen all of his movies!

Just for your information, I use the "Internet Movie Database" to find a lot of good information on movies and the people associated with them. I love foreign films and lately have learned a lot about Korean movies from this site!

www.imdb.com

If you have trouble accessing it, send me a message and I will gladly help you with your movie research!
Mar 7, 2006 23:32
  • BIRDSHIT
Glorifying homosexuality in the Big Screen is doing the community a dis-service. Many countries have tried damned hard to put it under wraps. And now, we have this smart alec of a director making guys all over the world going "ga-ga" over another guy.

I have no arguments over homosexuals or lesbians. It is their freedom of choice. Good luck to them.

Making homosexuals look so "COOL" on screen is a different kettle of fish. It will definitely influence young minds. I won't be surprised if the homosexual population is going up. A guy kissing passionately with another guy in public may be fashionable now. Who knows??
Mar 8, 2006 00:02
  • BIRDSHIT
Lee Ang is not as Chinese as you think he is. Having spent more than 30 years perfecting his art in America, he is as Chinese as the plate of Fried Rice that you ordered from an American restaurant.

Fried Rice is a so-called Chinese dish in America or other western countries. It is a western concoction. So like Fried Rice, the only thing Chinese about Lee Ang is his name.

Mar 8, 2006 00:07
  • RITA
Is "Fried Rice" a similar expression to "Banana"? :-)
Mar 8, 2006 00:50
  • MAY001
Even he has been to USA for so many years, he's still Chinese. Nothing can obliterate his root & original. He might be affected by American culture, but he can never become PURE Americanism. We can see the differences between him and other Hollywood directors from the movies he directed.
Mar 8, 2006 02:48
  • CALIFORNIA
For chinese,he is our pride and glory!But for chinese movies,it is nothing!!!
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Lee Ang Win is 'glory for Chinese'
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code