Menu
Money in China
Nov 17, 2007 03:54
  • ELLYSE
Officially, yes. But I don't think anyone really checks.
Nov 18, 2007 18:36
  • SUSAN205060
1) It has limit for cash since you need to pass customs declaration when you come into China.
So we suggest to take some international card(visa/mastercard etc) to draw the cash from ATM machine. It is safe and also convenient.

2)If you plan to visit big city to some small city or villages, you need to take some RMB from big city on hand since there is no much banks in the villages/small city.

You can take some your country currency on hand into China to avoid any emergency but not too much.

Enjoy!

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng(China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060

Dec 24, 2007 19:57
GUESTKILKOI Cool topic! ;)
Jan 5, 2008 00:29
GUEST05176 You will not be able to buy dollars back if you have too much yuan left. Banks do not sell dollars/euro to foreigners. however, one small bank in shenzhen airport offered me dollars but the rate was very bad
Jan 7, 2008 09:29
  • APAULT
You should be able to convert excess rmb into foreign currency provided you have your receipt from the original exchange. You can also take 10,000rmb into HK or Macau and change it there. You can also excchange it some overseas cities (eg Sydney) but I don't know how goo dthe rate is...and you are again limited to taking out 10,000rmb
Jan 7, 2008 10:57
  • GRIZ326
I am rethinking this issue again for my Spring Festival trip.

Yes, you can get RMB from ATM machines. However, my bank locked up my ATM cards on both trips even though on the second trip I told them that I was in China. Fortunately, I had given my friend a power of attorney and the bank unlocked my ATM card. *** IMPORTANT: Call your bank and credit card companies and alert them to the fact that you are traveling in China and intend to use your cards. ***

ATMs are not everywhere in China as they are in much of the Western world...and only certain banks are part of the Cirrus network. So you still need cash when you leave the big cities.

Traveler's Checks are a pain to cash in China, so I will not carry Traveler's Checks this trip.

Because I am hosting a number of Spring Festival parties, I will be bringing more cash than usual; but the previous advice of $2000 USD in your moneybelt is a reasonable recommendation. I might suggest that you split that into 3 parts and carry it in 3 concealed locations.
Jan 30, 2008 07:04
GUESTHONDA Cool site! Helpful topic! :)
Jan 30, 2008 15:33
GUESTLIKOJ Thx! :)
Feb 3, 2008 07:44
  • YINDUFFY
U.S. Dollars can be converted to Yuan in banks but they will ask to see your passport. Don't forget to bring it to the bank with you!
In 2000, we had a lot of difficulty cashing traveler's checks in Shenzhen. Things are probably different now.
Locals all carry wads of cash and that is the accepted way of doing business, even for larger purchases.
When getting Yuan currency, before leaving the exchange center or bank, examine the money and refuse any very worn, damaged or marked bills. Take only good condition ones. Some shopkeepers and restaurant owners will refuse to accept bills that are suspect.
Feb 9, 2008 12:01
  • SPOERLE
I always carry about 2-3000 Euro in cash. I do not use it. I have a debit card and a Creditcard. But these two will not be of any help in a remote place. Even the nicest and most willing people can not give you any money, if they do not have the device for using the cards. And: If your creditcard or debit card do not work: Do you really believe they will be replaced in 3 days? Maybe in Shanghai. Or what happend to my wife in New York: The ATM kept her card. When we went to the bank, they told us: You can not get the card back, because the ATM has the card already destroyed . . .
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Money in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code