Menu
Money in China
Feb 10, 2008 09:02
  • APAULT
Rich Spoerle. I wish I had that many Euros simply as standby.
Feb 10, 2008 11:09
  • SPOERLE
If you do not have the money, why not travel in your home country. By the way I will take that amount of money on a journey of at least 3 months or so. After two months many of the Euros have gone...
Feb 11, 2008 23:16
  • BARONTWANGLE
ATM's do not destroy cards, they just confiscate them. If you go to the issuing bank of the machine which confiscated your card with your passport, then they will return it to you. I have done this before on both occasions my card was kept by the ATM.

Anyone travelling abroad (whether in China or not) should get a bank account which doesn't charge you for withdrawing money from foreign ATM's. Get a Visa debit card associated with the account. This way, you can get small amounts out as often as you like. This avoids having to carry large amounts on you all the time.

Travellers cheques went out of practical use in the 1980's!
Feb 12, 2008 04:53
  • SPOERLE
Nonsense: It HAPPENED in New York that the ATM
kept/destroyed the card. The bank refused to give the card back. There is no difference in keeping or destroying the card, you are without the card anyway.
When travelling abroad a normal thinking person will do a budget. Calculate 3-4 % for getting the money from your home country, then you
know that you have to spend for the transactions
of, say in total 5000 Euro 150 to 200 Euros.
To change the bank only for avoiding the transaction fee is nonsense.

Feb 12, 2008 10:05
  • APAULT
Once an ATM has swallowed a card you will never get it back. You must apply for a new one to be issued which can be slow if you are overseas.

You could consider opening a bank account in China - which is quite easy to do. Then you make a large withdrawl from your main account when u arrive and then withdraw moderate amounts as you need it using your Chinese ATM card.
Feb 12, 2008 12:24
  • SPOERLE
In Egypt the ATM swallowed two times my debit card. I picked up the cards the next day at the main office of the bank.
Normally you can get the card back, except my be at certain banks in USA. Make sure: Go to a ATM inside the bank, during working hours, try different ATMs/banks and find out what is the highest amount you get out from the machine.
Feb 15, 2008 09:14
  • BARONTWANGLE
When I said an ATM won't destroy your card, I was referring to Chinese ATM's. Americans will destroy anything - (look what they are doing to the world!). If your card gets withheld by a Chinese ATM, you just need to go to the issuing bank during working hours with your passport, and transaction slip which says "card withheld" on it. They will then make you sign a form, and return your card. It's happened to me twice, and is fine. My only advice would be not to use ATM's which are not on the same site as the issuing bank (ie - in shopping malls), as it is more difficult to find out which branch is responsible for that particular machine.

Feb 15, 2008 14:49
  • APAULT
OK Baron, that's good news. I wouldn't have even trired to get my card back, but if it happens in China i will.
Feb 16, 2008 08:05
  • INMEDIC
you can always exchange your currency at the airport. Like the other person said, you can go to atm's like the Bank of China, Citi Bank, HSBC Bank and withdraw the amount you want. I have been to China several times and I always was able to get money from atm's so there should be no problem with money. I would be careful on how much money you carry because of the thiefs in the big cities. I hope this has also helped you.

Take care,
Feb 16, 2008 09:34
  • BARONTWANGLE
One thing to watch out for when drawing money from ATM's in China, is receiving fake money. No, I didn't think it was possible either, until I got a dodgy note from the Bank Of China. After doing some research, I found out this is not a rare occurrence. The bank will ferociously deny it of course, so here is what you need to do (or at least what you are supposed to do!). When you withdraw money from an ATM, you will only be given 100 Yuan notes. Take them from the machine, but do not move away from it. You should inspect all the notes carefully in full view of the security camera and waiting thieves. If you discover you have a dodgy one (trust me, the one I got fooled even Chinese retail people, and I still can't tell the difference), then you should call the police without moving from your position. As soon as you move away from the ATM, you stand no chance of anyone believing you didn't do the switcharoo. You must stay there (even though there may be a long line of impatient people behind you) and wait until the police come. Do not try to contact the bank staff, as they are the ones putting the fake money in the ATM in the first place. They will just confiscate it, and you will lose your money (or if you returned the following day, you could probably withdraw the same note again!). This is the official advice from the police, but as you will probably see, totally impractical. Basically, if you get a duff note - your loss. The best you can do is try to pass it on to blind shopkeeper, at night, during a power cut. Good luck.
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Money in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code