Menu
No Independent Travel in Tibet !?
Mar 20, 2006 01:01
I was planning on a solo trip to Lhasa, going through Chengdu. but I found out that independent travel in Tibet is prohibited. How does that work? Can I join a group tour in Chengdu and cross the Tibetian boarder in group but walk around Lhasa by myself, and myabe travel to nearby cities? Or do I have to get "stacked" with a tour group with pre-arranged routes?
Thanks for your replies
Mar 20, 2006 18:46
  • RITA
It is said if you do not join in a group orgznized by a travel agency, you will not get the Tibet Entry Permit, without the Permit, you can not have your flight ticket to Lhasa issued. According to the regulations of CNTA, the Tibet Travel Permit is not allowed to issue to the individuals.
Mar 21, 2006 06:53
  • JABAROOTOO
I think you will find that is not the case. I have met several people who have traveled solo to Tibet.
If you plan on going through Chengdu may I suggest that you contact Sam's Guesthouse for more information about independant travel arrangements to Tibet. I haven't used them for Tibet but have stayed there and taken the Panda tour and another evening city outing which I thought was good value for money.

yahoo.com|samtour

Mar 21, 2006 18:25
  • RITA
I had the same question, I heard a lot of backpackers traveling sole in Tibet...

Just now I asked a friend who is in tourism business, she told me the same story as my previous reply above. And she said, when the travel agents apply for the Permit for their clients, they should provide detailed itinerary tailored by them, and there should be no free days [without the acompany of a guide] arranged, or else, the Permit will not be issued.

I'll ask another friend in Tibet later today and hopefully give you a more reliable answer, hehe~
Mar 21, 2006 21:14
  • RITA
Mr. G is an expert in tourist business and top manager of a large and reliable travel agency in Lhasa. The below is the short conversation between us about the Tibet Travel Permit, hope it is helpful. I think the information revealed in his words was reliable. (I changed the Chinese into English in haste and I kept the Chinese version for some of curious Chinese friends:)))

Rita:
... ...进藏的外国人必须经过旅行社办理入藏函才能进西藏,那么我们听说的好多背包客独自出入西藏是怎么回事呢??

Rita:
... ...As we all know, foreigners are not allowed to enter Tibet without Tibet Travel Permits which are only issued to registered travel agencies for their clients, but we also see or hear sometimes there are many backpackers/ independent travellers go in and out of Tibet without any problems, how is that?

Mr. G
大部分是从非正常渠道买的批件,还有就是凭运气,没有被检查到,特别是陆路进藏的,个别机场也只是抽查入藏批件。但是进入入藏批件只是准许进入西藏的一个许可证,到西藏后前往其他地区上旅游还要办理其他手续

Some people "purchase" [NOT APPLY-rita] Tibet Travel Permit from unwarrantable methods, others entered Tibet successfully without the Permit only by luck, especially for those who travelled overland. Some airports only selectively exam the Permits, this also gives out chances to solo travellers. ... But as it indicates, the Tibet Travel Permit is only a permit, traveling to some other areas [except Lhasa] needs to transact other required procedures...
(It is the first warning I got for a post of over 3000 characters::)

to be continued
Mar 21, 2006 21:15
  • RITA
Rita:
也就是说这个批件的检查方面是有漏洞的,或者可不可以这样说,现在这个凭批函入藏已经逐渐形式化?

Well, can I say the procedure of examining the Permit is faulty or even worse, the system has been formalized gradually?

Mr. G:
那到不是,没有持入藏批件进藏的只是个别现象,而且不是有旅行社接待的,大部分还是要 正常手续才能进藏。 拉萨市是个开放城市,游客在正常景点活动是允许的,但下到地区就很可能被军方遣送回来。

Not at all, entering Tibet without Permits are only exceptions, and none of them are clients of any travel agencies. Most foreigners visit Tibet by going through the official procedures. Lhasa is an open city, travelers' free and legal activities are allowed, but if they penetrate into other areas in Tibet, it's highly probable that they will be send back by military.
... ...
Mar 22, 2006 00:22
  • CALIFORNIA
Good job,Rita!

And I just heard that you can go to Lhasa or Rikaze easily,but if you want to visit Ali,Linzhi,Motuo or others,you need a permit!

Mar 22, 2006 18:37
  • RITA
Costs of Permits/ papers visiting other places in Tibet:

Zhangmu Travel permit: 50 yuan/ p.p.
Gyangtse travel permit: 50 yuan/ p.p.
Mar 23, 2006 01:10
Thanks for all the replies!!

It seems like I probably can only work on the permit thing once I get to Chengdu. I was planning to fly from Chengdu to Lhasa, so that means I HAVE to join a group. Has anyone joined a group arranged by youth hostels in Chengdu? How was it?
Jun 2, 2006 03:12
  • VAK191B
Please do not have a solo trip!In tibet,The environment is not like current places at all,Human who is not the ordinary people in Tibet may meet dangerous all the time!So,more one,more safe!I think that is why the China government do not permit the independent travel in Tibet.If you want to go,you'd better think all over at first,and get the cell phone,keep the battery in power all the time,and take GPS set if you wish(That always be more better.)
Jun 2, 2006 04:08
  • CALIFORNIA
It seems dangerous in Tibet??!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: No Independent Travel in Tibet !?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code