Menu
No Pride nor Prejudice Involved
Mar 20, 2006 01:03
  • RITA
To be perfectly frank, nationality problem is an issue, very sensitive one. That's why i am so hesitate and tentative to put forward this thread here. I have no intention to offend anybody at all.

I am sorry to mention this but why there are so many Xinjiang people come into almost all the major cities to become pickpockets? I've seen a lot in person in Shanghai and Xian, and heard people from other cities talk about Xinjiang thieves?

Now when I walk in the streets and see people with uigur faces I will hold my purse tightly.

What's wrong??
Mar 20, 2006 01:38
  • PINETREE
I understand what you mean, Rita.
Am not sure whether this feeling that u are experiencing is wrong. But am sure it is normal. This is prejudice - sometime racial, sometime religious & sometimes even sexual. There are many reasons for one to behave like this.
Am sure most people have that sort of feeling about other nationalities too - it is even present here in this Community(am not saying that I am not since I was branded to have a "disdain for Westerners" !). We can read and sense it from the manner & things that are spoken here by members.
Such feelings come from our life experiences, rightly or wrongly.
Most of us display such prejudice without knowing and realising it at all because such has become part of us. It has become natural.
Most are able to suppress their prejudices esp infront of unfamiliar people/situation. But these will show up when one observes carefully enough or when under pressure.
I thot I saw thro 2 of these just last week - sorry 3 incl myself !
Whilst most of us have such tendency, it is important that we also recognise this shortfall and try to control it - if not eradicate it.
Mar 20, 2006 01:58
  • RITA
Well, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I understand you very well, you mean it becomes a kind of subconscious thing to dislike or even distaste another nationality/ ies. But from my personaly experience it might not be true, I myself am not pure Han people, my mother is mongolian which makes me half mongolian. She brought some mongolian habits to the Han family she married.

I grow up with a lot of minorities friends - Manchu, Mongolians and Koreans, Elunchun and Ewenke and Xibe, ...etc. They behave more or less different from Han, but I don't think I myself ever have any bias to them. As a matter of fact, the place I was born was so small and remote - the first time I heard about Racism/ racist was when i was in junor middle school and of course I could not understand it then, even now.

Uigur people usually are deemed as brave and beautiful and sing&dance well ... all the impressions are so good.

I thought there must be something happened to make these people go out of their fairy land to the big cities, that's also what i am thinking.

Maybe some of our Chinese members can share more with us, I'm curious if I am the only one feels sorry about uigur pick pockets (there are a lot of Han pickpockets, too).

PS. I hope this thread will not become a war field of racism, pli::::z!
Mar 20, 2006 02:41
  • RITA
I am not a racist, and I don't believe the deep down differences between races. The genes make us look different, but I believe the innermost parts are totally the same, it is the education/ cultural backgrounds make people think so differently.

Nobody is superior than others, whatever his/ her skin color and the color of their eyes or the sizes of their noses:), or even he is very, very rich.

It is the similar life style and living conditions and the most important, their financial status make a group of people of the same nationality commit something really bad for others. Usually, this group of people are the one who live not so good.
Mar 20, 2006 02:55
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Rita,

It is a complex problem in the big cities.In Beijing,we talking about Xinjiangren,Henanren,evern Dongbeiren.

Too Bad!
Mar 20, 2006 03:00
  • ROGERINCA
Such intelligence and sensitivity I read here !!! These feelings are all so natural and normal, so don’t worry !!!

You are both correct and I understand all your feelings and all that you say !!
I, for one, only have “disdain,” for [disdainful] individuals……those, who exhibit traits that include being, oblivious, obnoxious, immature, egocentric, and mean spirited !!!
I don’t care what color they are, or what the shape of their eyes !!! LOL :) :)
Mar 20, 2006 07:42
  • RITA
Pinetree,

I reread your reply and thought I might be wrong with that feeling I had before. When I was in college, Rumours about Henan people were very popular, and I heard a lot of horrible things about Henanese, how they made all kinds of fake products, how they cheated and robbed ..., as California wrote in his travel review: http://community.travelchinaguide.com/review2.asp?i=668&pp=1
Then I met a Henanese, he approved something I heard before, that was his hometown (Anyang) was the center to produce "medicines/pills" of all brands and for all kinds of diseases with WHEAT FLOUR!!! After that, it seemed to me all the bad things about what Henanese committed were proved.

I had had really bad feelings towards Henanese, even when I travel by train, I would not choose those passing (only passing) any part of Henan Prov.

I changed my idea when I met some other Henan people...
Mar 20, 2006 08:25
  • WCTMAN
Rogerinca

I couldn't agree with you more. Oblivious, obnoxious, immature, egocentric, and mean spirited people are not welcome here, there or anywhere decent, civilized people gather.
Mar 20, 2006 13:43
  • ROGERINCA
Yes, you are right……. I am so thankful that the absolute majority of individuals who utilize this site/forum are, in fact, very decent, civilized, and kind !!!

Mar 20, 2006 19:00
  • RITA
Hi California,

I didn't know we Dongbeiren have a bad reputation!
Mar 20, 2006 19:12
  • PINETREE
Every race/nationality that I have come across (& I have come across many) has something bad to say about others. In China, I heard about what was said of people of Hubei or Shantou - just as much as I hear English say bad about Irish, Welsh, Scots, Austrialians, USAmerican, French, etc, etc. We also hear the same about Indians (of India), Moslems, Christians, etc,etc.
In my opinion, some of these "bad" things said about others are not totally untrue, tho ! There is no smoke without a fire - so the saying goes. But we just have to be sensitive about it. Common-sense should prevail - though Confucius said, "Common-sense is not Common" !
Our prejudices are picked up from our everyday life from the day we were borne. A child is borne pure & innocent. It is the environment that slowly but surely contaminates the innocent baby. Education tries to correct this but sometimes it worsens it.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: No Pride nor Prejudice Involved
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code