Menu
using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Jan 25, 2008 18:41
  • JENMARIE
This forum has been really helpful to me. Thanks, everyone, for sharing this info! I was originally planning to take traveller's cheques, but now I think I'l plan to do most of it by debit card. I'll probably still take a small amount on a traveller's cheque in case I need a backup.
Feb 11, 2008 04:45
GUEST96147 I would just like to add it will now cost $5+2% with commonwealth. I am thinking of opening a NAB account because they use a visa debit which can also be used online to book airfares and such, they charge $4+2% to withdraw overseas.
Mar 5, 2008 18:55
  • BTHERL
$5+2% ? Nooooooo :(

I did a transfer yesterday (aus to singapore), and it was $5+2% just like you say .. how did you find out about the increase?

It used to be $5 a few years back, regardless of the amount. And it still is flat $5 if you do cirrus from a DBS/POSB account in singapore (well it was last time I tried).
Mar 7, 2008 02:37
  • BARONTWANGLE
For any UK people (or non UK people who want to have a UK bank account), then get a Nationwide Flexaccount. You can do everything online, so you don't need to be a UK resident (but it's more convenient if you are). Opt for the Visa debit card, and this allows you to withdraw money all over the world without ever having to pay a fee (they are the only bank I know of who don't charge for this service). They also give the best rates - mirrored to the international market rates each day. You can manage everything online, so for anyone doing a lot of travelling, it is well worth it, and will save you loads of money.

It's crazy that my Chinese girlfriend has to pay a fee for withdrawing money from any ATM which doesn't belong to her own Chinese bank, yet I pay nothing, even though my bank is on the other side of the world. It's a scam!
Apr 7, 2008 00:56
  • BTHERL
In Singapore, you simply cannot withdraw from another bank's atm. Eg, you cannot withdraw funds from your HSBC singapore account from a DBS atm in singapore. But you CAN withdraw from your HSBC account in any other country from the same ATM, through Cirrus. I guess it's because of the fierce competition here.

Anyway, back to the topic .. we recently went to china and withdrew from an ATM in Shenzhen near the HK train station (Lo Wu I think it's called). The bank's name was three capital letters starting with R, but I don't remember exactly what. The withdrawal limit was 2500 yuan. We withdrew 2000 yuan and got an exchange rate of just below 5 yuan to $1 singapore. Including the $5 fee, the rate was around 4.9

Our tour guide offered us yuan for 4.8 .. not as big a commission as the money changers in HK asked. Those HK money changers are so bold! Even including 20% commission in the rates in the tourist traps. Luckily the banks in HK give great rates. And the changer on The Peak also charges very low commission.
Sep 19, 2008 13:07
GUEST47114 I am in ShenZhen now , Locals can only take 20,000 RMB from ATM each day .
And in LuoHu District or FuTian District , there are many machines that can accpet foreign cards to get cash .
It's bank's business to charge our fees . Maybe BILLYBAXTER is unluck and didn't find the right machine .
BTW, BOC(Bank Of China) and ICBC(Industrial & Commercial Bank Of China) perform well on international business. So if you have another chance to try ,just please try these banks' ATM.
Gary
Jul 21, 2009 08:21
GUEST63232 i am in shan wei at the moment and the banking here is terrible.
despite visa being printed on the machine i can withdraw no money. my australian westpas cirrus and my nz plus accounts both do not work.
it is great fun being a 600 rmb taxi ride from shenzhen and run out of cash.
Jul 22, 2009 00:53
  • ELLYSE
Come on, you can't take a bus instead of a taxi to Shenzhen?
Jul 30, 2009 17:53
GUEST25073 Does anyone know of any surcharge-free ATMs in China?
Jul 31, 2009 05:16
  • ELLYSE
The Chinese banks' ATM machines don't have a surcharge for using international cards, it's your home bank which has surcharges for using their cards overseas. Ask your own bank.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: using Chinese ATM using cirrus & masestro
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code