shopping and clothes
Mar 25, 2006 14:13
  • MAZPHD
could someone suggest where is best to go for shopping in
shanghai, and where could i go that could make up some clothes
for me if i have the patterns.

Thaks mariann

also just any recommendations of where to go and what to do as a
tourist in shaghai with 4 days to experience the city!
Mar 25, 2006 23:30
  • ELLYSE
For making clothes, this's not really in Shanghai, but you could head for Huqiu Lu if you're planning to take a daytrip to Suzhou. However, since you'll only be here for 5 days, I'm not sure if it'll be long enough for you to get the work after it's done!
Shopping: Xiangyang Lu "fake" market, Nanjing Lu pedestrian street, Sichuan Lu, Qipu Lu market etc.
Mar 26, 2006 04:57
  • MAZPHD
hi ellyse!

thanks for the advice shall head for the markets and make sure i
get some bargains!

travelling to hangzhou after shanghai, so perhaps shall find some
hidden gems there too!
Mar 26, 2006 06:14
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Mariann
You should find plenty of places to have clothes made in Shanghai. Every city in China has an abundance of tailors/dressmakers. Ask around at your hotel or try the blocks around Nanjing Lu.

Silk fabrik shops on Nanjing Lu will make garments up for you. They usually don't need patterns.

It is a good idea to buy your fabric from the same place you have your garments made. I found a great range of fabrics from silks, wools and cottons etc in Shanghai. Allow a few days to have them made up.

In Suzhou I got a Qipao made in two days. Absolutely beautiful and first rate quality but you will find the same in Shanghai but may have to pay a little more.

I suggest you do your dressmaking first then sightsee while they are being made up. allow one day for any minor alterations.
Good luck
Mar 26, 2006 08:08
  • INMEDIC
If you only have 4 days in Shanghai you should check out the Yu Yuan Gardens. The garden itself is beautiful and there is a small charge to visit, but the shops around the garden is a nice place to find any type of gift to buy and you can bargan for a good price. They also have a wonderful tea house besides the restaurants which offers Chinese food and western food like McDonalds for one. Check it out while you are there. I have been to Shanghai 3 times visiting my wife's relatives and enjoy going to the garden every time.
Mar 27, 2006 04:58
  • MAZPHD
thanks so much, i have heard how nice the gardens are and will
definatly find some time to explore,have some tea and tke in the
surroundings!

i can't wait for my trip to start, just wish i had longer to explore!
Post a Reply to: shopping and clothes
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code