Menu
off the beaten path
Mar 28, 2006 11:29
  • RIDERS9
I am planning a trip to China in June to pick up my daughter, who has been teaching English in Wuxi this semester. We are planning to travel independently for 2 weeks. While I want to see the major sights, I also would like to get off the beaten path, experience everyday life, meet regular people, etc. We are planning a loop from Shanghai to Beijing to Xian and back to Shanghai and will be taking overnight trains (can't afford air travel within the country) We are avid backpackers. Any suggestions for destinations, beautiful scenery, a break from the crowds and big cities? Thanks for any suggestions.
Mar 28, 2006 21:19
  • INMEDIC
Hi,

While you are in Shanghai you and your daughter should visit the Yu Yuan Gardens. The garden itself is very beautiful and you can use a complete roll of film in the garden itself, but you shhould also visit the shops that are around the garden. You can buy gifts to take back home with you. There are also several restaurants in the area. The prices are very reasonable. In Xian, you should visit the Terricotta warriors. They are fantastic. Just a couple of ideas for you.
Mar 29, 2006 02:31
  • ELLYSE
If you're taking trains everywhere, my advice is to do Shanghai--Xi'an--Beijing--Shanghai instead of Shanghai--Beijing--Xi'an--Shanghai. The reason is that decent train tickets from Xi'an to Shanghai are surprisingly difficult to get, based on my experiences!
Since you're visiting Xi'an, my recommendation is to visit Huashan which's slightly to the east of Xi'an. Allow 1 or 2 days there.
Let me know at ellyse99ATyahoo.com (substitute @ for AT, thanks) if you want help getting train tickets, I'm studying in Shanghai. :)
Mar 29, 2006 06:41
  • JABAROOTOO
For getting off the beaten track you can't beat a road trip from Guilin/Yangshou to Guiyang with side trips on the way to experience the scenery, history and minorities in the mountains.

Read up on some of our reviews. There is plenty of information online if you pick a city/town and google it. These places get some foreing tourist and very few nationals so you can really enjoy things without the crowds.

All the best

Post a Reply to: off the beaten path
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code