Menu
Suggestion on silk road
Apr 1, 2006 11:01
  • LINUS86
Hello fellow travellers, we are a group of student located in singapore. We are planning for a trip to the Silk Road in China this June.

The duration for the travel is about 14-21 days. We are doing it the backpacker way. Our budget is only about 1000 Dollars (excluding air thickets). We are planning to take a budget airline from singapore to Guangzhou. From guangzhou, we are planning to take a train to the silk road.

As the duration of the travel is only 14-21 days, we will not be able to cover all of the silk road; we thus have to pick and choose the most interesting place to travel to.

Here are some questions which we hope you are able to help us.

1. Whick part of the silk road should we travel to?

2. which part of the silk road do you suggest is the most interesting, most cultural shock?

3. Any tips when travelling there?

Thank you for all your kind suggestions.
Apr 2, 2006 01:54
  • KYLE
Dear Singaporean Students
Wow the silk road

First I must say dont worry about getting "the most culture shock", China itself, and especailly Guangzhou is enough to shake you up.
First I must reccomend flying to Chengdu if its possible. You are much closer to the road. Travel in China is expensive and it takes a long time.
Sorry I dont so much but I will find out some more information as I myself am interested in going.
Apr 2, 2006 20:18
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Singaporean friends,

I think you can arrive Xi'an firstly,because it is the beginning of Silk Road!And then I think you will be shock by the city!

Then,to the west,arrive the city Lanzhou,Wuwei,Jinchang,Zhangye,Jiayuguan(the end of Great Wall),Dunhuang(Mogao Cave)......

Come into Xinjiang,and then Ruoqiang,Hetian,arrive kashi.

Good luck!
Apr 3, 2006 22:26
  • ELLYSE
From Guangzhou, take a train to Urumqi, then take a train to Kashgar (Kashi) and work your way back from there. The recommended stops (West to East) will be Kashgar, Urumqi, Turpan, Dunhuang, Jiayuguan, Lanzhou (only for transit) and Xi'an. You can also fit in Xiahe if you have the time.
Apr 4, 2006 03:38
  • CONNY129
June is hot :( do bring suncream , umbrella , sunglasses ...
Apr 4, 2006 04:00
  • PINETREE
I went the Silk Road 2 yrs ago. Very different from our country & very enjoyable tho also very tiring.
We took a plane from Beijing to Urumuqi and travelled eastwards and ended at Xian.
Summer could be hot but it should still be OK for u to experience the Flaming Mountain, etc.
For me, Xinjiang, Gansu & Xian are all very nice places to explore and enjoy. For S'poreans who are used to city-life, I would suggest u spend more time in Xinjiang & Gansu - verry different and unique. Yes, 14 days will be too tight to enjoy the route at a leisure pace. Go for the 21 days.
Good idea to start from Chengdu - but it depends on the airfare from S'pore. Normally you can get promotional air ticket to GZ/SZ - maybe Jetasia.
I think u will like the outing. Enjoy.
Apr 4, 2006 04:11
  • PINETREE
Being a S'porean, I don't think u will be shocked at China. The only shock I canm imagine is the level of modernisation in the major cities of China.
Go & find out and enjoy.
We travel quite widely. I trust this is not your first trip out.
Apr 5, 2006 01:29
  • GZSTEVENZHOU
Hi, KYLE,
The reason why these singaporean students choose Guangzhou as a starting point is because here is a budget flight between GZ&SGP provided by Flying Tiger budget airlines. The individual one-way airticket costs about only RMB280.Incredible!
I also agree with their decison.Meanwhile, it's easy to take a train from GZ to Xi'an or another city, because GZ is one of three most importat transportation gateways in China.

BR,
Steven Zhou
Apr 5, 2006 01:42
  • PINETREE
Yes, indeed. Due to competition there are now budget airlines operating out of SIngapore. A single trip to HK cost only rmb450 - ie about rmb1000 for return. Normal cost is rmb3000 for return.Good value.
But only selected destinations only.
Apr 8, 2006 09:36
  • LINUS86
Hello everyone, sorry for the late replys. Thank you all for your priceless suggestions and tips.

We have already finalise the duration of the travel to be 21 days. Some questions i would like to ask is,

1. How do i make a booking for a train service to Xian? Can i do it online? We are flying directly to Guangzhou Via tiger airways as they offer the cheapest flight.

2. Is it safe in China? I heard that there are many pick pockets and touts in China.

3. Is 1000 sing (approx 622USD) enough for 21 days? (hmm..i seriously doubt so :( )

Thank you for all your kind suggestions.
Apr 8, 2006 10:09
  • CALIFORNIA
You can't buy the train ticket online in Xi'an,just buy it from the railway station.

China is a safe country!

Maybe 1000sing is ok!How will you cost it???

Good luck,guys!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Suggestion on silk road
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code