Menu
U Pay for Pleasure....
Apr 2, 2006 21:36
  • PINETREE
Someone recently commented the following on the Forum:-
(a) It is a website for the bored & lonely
(b) Members should work towards improving the Forum whilst still having fun.

I think this has been raised before in 1 of the many posts here - ie how fun the Forum can be depends on members. From the last 6 mths I have been here, I think this Forum is lively & fun enough - at least for me !
We have to pay for pleasures. To me, the price of pleasure here is the "nonsense" that comes with it.
My answers to the above 2 comments are :-
(a) Which website is for the unbored & busy people ? For most, I believe there is a purpose joining this Community - basically a passion for China's many etcs.
(b) It may not be as fun as some members would like it to be but commenting without actions or suggestions is quite useless - they say talking is cheap. Casting unuseful comments/snide remarks here and there is not productive.
Hahaha !! Am having fun still.
Apr 2, 2006 21:51
  • PINETREE
For me, I don't take it personal. Rather I treat it as a topic for separate discussion, objectively. Further, if this erupts into another fiasco, it is my thread.
Hope this answer satisfies u !!!
Apr 2, 2006 23:44
  • ROGERINCA

Yes, Pinetree !!

Quote- other member: “Many of [us] have been watching for a while now the situation that some people register several different IDs to represent one country….. some endless personal discussions and pep talk better off in a chat or PM…...nothing more than a desperate childish chat-room for bored and lonely…..I hope we can all work together to get this section under control and restore a good name…..”

I too, was surprised by the critical ‘language’ the other member used, to call this a “chat-room for the bored, lonely and desperately childish” !! I am also surprised no one else has commented on that other thread ??

This forum and community is just that---a forum and community for happy people who love China !! Yes, this is a meeting place for people to socialize and interact in a lovely, healthy, and positive manner. Yes, maybe, this community is a very, or even most important, aspect of some members lives !! So, what’s wrong with that !!?? Why can’t good, kind people have good kind fun and interaction here at TCG !!?? I have many friends here, who like to have the little chit-chat over some threads and topics of interest to them. I think this is great !!! It adds to the dynamic of this forum and it helps build comradeship among members !! If another member is not interested in a particular discussion, they don’t have to read it, participate in it, or have any interaction at all.

And what is the point about “restore the good name” of this section !!?? Who says this forum has a bad name !!?? I think this forum is fantastic, and first-rate; and any minor issues or disputes which may arise, will always have a way of being resolved by the membership !! That’s my view !!! :) :)
Apr 3, 2006 00:39
  • PINETREE
ROger - I observe that normal members seem quite aloof at this sort of matter. They try not to give their views - don't know why.

Wocca - please try to hold a discussion, not just a remark which can be misinterpreted.
Apr 3, 2006 06:13
  • LEMONCACTUS
I wonder if I might be considered a normal member ? I feel I am a normal member. By this I mean that I joined TCG because I love China, I live and work here, I love travel and I love helping and sharing my experiences with others.

I have also done some editing work for the TCG team and have been so impressed with their professionalism and dedication to the site.

Frankly, and at last I feel sufficiently strong to write this down, these days I rarely feel like reading posts or interacting with this forum at all.

I have an example, lets take the recent post by Juliett: http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?pp=1&i=24973

It seems to me that Juliett is typical of the many people that might come to this forum ie: knowing little about China and asking a question.

It seems to me that a number of the responses to her post are a little negative/aggressive towards her.

It seems to me that a number of the posts are just plain irrelevant to her question.

IF I had posted this question, I would feel too intimidated to come back and post a reply. I might not ever come back!

Can she be thankful for the information that she's got from this forum and its members ? [This is a rhetorical question]

Perhaps the negative junk that has been posted in the last few months has turned us all into cynics, doubting every new post, assuming everything is an attack (either personal or against TCG).

In my mind, this can only be a bad thing: alienating any new and existing members who are genuinely looking for answers and reassurance. Not only this, but we risk the knock-on effects of their negative feedback to their friends about this forum.

Word of mouth is a powerful force.

Imagine if we all responded courteously and only to those posts that we could genuinely offer our POSITIVE opinions, advice, assistance, experiences, thoughts etc.....

Imagine if we all ignored any post we didn't feel we could add a POSITIVE response to....

.... then, even if the post is just to cause trouble, it would be ignored and quickly disappear. Any poster whose intentions towards the site are negative would simply not bother to return.

For all other genuine members, the posts would be informative, friendly and helpful to them. The forum would be respected by the Internet community and would be something for the TCG company to be proud of. It would be somewhere we could all come to relax, chill out and learn a little more about China and our fellow community members.

Now... well.... personally I think we are letting TCG down.
Apr 3, 2006 06:14
  • LEMONCACTUS
A TCG Utopia ? Of course not...

Every forum has its issues and problems. Nothing is perfect, we are all only humans. This method of communication (via the web) allows for a lot of misinterpretation and misunderstanding. Add to this the (fabulously diverse!!) vibrant multi-cultures of our community and the chances of misunderstanding increases. Whenever we communicate we must try to be understanding, this is empathy.

The real problems arise when we can't GET OVER these issues and MOVE ON. When so many threads continue to be hi-jacked by negativity and aggression etc.

Perhaps Pinetree, you are right that many members have been aloof. I for one don't blame them, I wish I didn't feel I had to post this.

I can't help feeling this is just about common sense.

If we all just 'thought' for a moment before pressing the "SUBMIT" button.

Phew! Well, that's it. I really hope this forum can move forward somehow, hence this essay... I need a rest :(
Apr 3, 2006 10:16
  • YOUNGLION
Say what your want. Its not going to make a difference. There's nothing wrong... if somebody kicks you from behind, you turn around and slap him on the face. Nothing wrong about that.
Apr 3, 2006 17:01
  • ASIANBRIDE
Oh~~~~~~mine o mine~~~~~~hehe u boys r so pleasure~~~~~~
Apr 3, 2006 19:43
  • PINETREE
Well, well, it is nice to hear from a less "normally active" member for a change.
Anyway, if we recognise that an Utopian TCG is not possible, then there is no reason why the feeling that the Forum has deteriorated & not wanting to open the posts ?
If we accept that humans are fallible, then the general behaviour of the Forum members is quite normal then.
Separately, I think citing the example of the thread on 1-2 responses to Juliett's post was a poor one. The comments penned were done partly in jest with no malice at all - one can easily detect the tone. Further, it was penned after no further words from the originator of the thread for 2 days and during which some fair comments were given by members. Yet further, is the fact that there are authors who post threads and never to be heard of again.
As we can see, it is easy to point out all the follies of others. It is easier to pick out an example to cite in support of our case. But are we ourselves infallible & fair in so doing ?
And if we really practise SOMU(Shut Up & Move On) then there is no reason not to continue enjoying the Forum. I do still enjoy the Forum, tho mine is FBMO (Fight Back & Move On) !
Apr 3, 2006 20:10
  • ROGERINCA
Pinetree, as is the case most of the time, you are right on the mark here, and I echo your sentiments !!
Apr 3, 2006 20:16
  • ROGERINCA
Next, the member is obviously an educated, very intelligent and articulate young woman. Moreover, she appears to be very kind and considerate in all of her postings.
She is entitled to her opinion and I truly respect it; however, I will also say to her that while I understand where she is coming from, I do not agree with all that she has stated.

I have always been a ‘fighter’ for what is right. I have always looked out for the little guy in my career and in my life. In this regard, if I observe an injustice, I will not stand by idly, I will speak up. I am not arrogant and I am not overly aggressive. I hope many others know me as a kind and fair man. But I will not turn the other cheek; when I am wronged or my friends are wronged, be it here or anywhere, I will take a stand and state my position.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: U Pay for Pleasure....
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code