Menu
What should we bring to China?
Apr 10, 2006 14:56
  • JOEWKS
Hello Everyone!

My brother and I are going to be in China May 11-26. We are going to Hong Kong for 3 days and then taking a 12 day luxury tour of: Guilin/Yangshuo/Guilin/Xi'an/Luoyang/Beijng.

1. What is the normal temperature range for the dates & cities listed above?

I came up with the following list after reading the packing tips on this site:

1 weeks worth of clothes (jeans, shorts, tshirts, etc), Cash, credit cards, traveler’s cheques, Good walking shoes, Medication, Sunblock, Toiletries, Toilet paper/wet wipes, Flip-flops, Poncho/raincoat/Umbrella, flashlight/Head torchlight, Hat, Water bottle, CAMERA, MP3 player, Phone Charger, Batteries & Battery Charger, Power converter, Lightweight foldable bag for shopping, light Pullover/jacket, guide book.

2. Is there anything else that we should bring for our first trip to China?

3. We aren't backpacking, we're taking a TCG luxury tour. So should we bring enough clothes for the entire trip, or bring one weeks worth and wash them halfway through the trip? Do most of the hotels have laundry services?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Apr 10, 2006 16:41
  • INMEDIC
Hi,

The average temperature is about the same for the several cities you are going to. HongKong has a average high of 81 to 84 F or 27 to 29 C and a low of 74 to 77 F or 23 to 25 C. Beijing has a normal high about 78 to 82 F or 26 to 28 C. You get the idea. You can also look at the city guide and go the the climate for the city you are going to to get the average temperature. Hope you have a good time.
Apr 10, 2006 19:18
  • RITA
1, Here you can check the detailed yearly climate of all the major cities in China:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/index.htm

2, I think whatever you need, it's available in China.

3, "or bring one weeks worth and wash them halfway through the trip? Do most of the hotels have laundry services." This is the answer.

Have a good trip!!
Apr 10, 2006 19:45
  • ROGERINCA
Wow Joe !!! How much fun this will be for you and your brother !!!
Kansas City to Beijing !!! How diverse !!! LOL

As you know, everyone has their own point of view/perspective.

Having traveled to China, from the USA, three times in the past 24 months, I learn something new with each trip. I tend to go a little heavy with the clothes, mostly a larger selection of shirts and a few extra pairs of pants (Jeans and Dockers types). But surely you can get by with a weeks worth of clothing !!! Most higher quality hotels will have one-day laundry service--pickup by 10:00am and return by 5:00pm. I am not sure how many days you will have in a location, so with moving from hotel to hotel, you will have to plan a little with respect to making sure you are not moving to another city while your laundry is out being cleaned. The fees for the laundry are much less than you would pay here in the US !! It is normally priced per article of clothing. At all the hotels I have stayed, your underwear and socks etc. are returned not only cleaned and pressed, but folded neatly and sealed in little plastic wrap packages, almost like when you first purchased them new !!! :) :)

Your list appears to be very good. If you are bringing your mobile phone, make sure it has the 900 freq. Band, which you will find in all quad-band phones and a few tri-band phones.

Most personal items like toiletries, are abundant in China, so you do not have to bring 20 lbs. of soap, toothpaste, shampoo etc !! Your hotel room will come with many personal items, and if not, the hotel store/gift shop will have most items you need. Drinks and snacks are abundant at the many stores in most cities in China. Should you have a favorite snack or treat, that you think you may not find in China, pack some in your bag. Also a bottle of aspirin or Advil, and maybe some Tums !! ‘AA’ batteries are easy to find, and reasonably priced, so don’t think you have to bring a bunch.

Your hotel room will come with an electric tea pot for boiling water for tea, which will also be in the room. If you are like me and you like a couple of cups of coffee each day, then be sure to bring a box of Folgers Coffee Singles (or similar brand) they are similar to tea bags, very light in weight, and will do the trick !! Also, you can pack some of the little packets of sugar, in a zip-lock bag, for use with the coffee. I never found any in the room at the hotels I stayed at.

I have only one word of caution regarding your trip !!!!! Travel to China is ‘addictive’ !!! You will have such a wonderful and memorable time !! However, be prepared, because within days of your return to KC, you will miss China very much and you will start to think about and want to plan your next trip !! LOL

Best wishes for a great vacation !!!

Apr 10, 2006 20:10
  • MAY001
Roger, u know a lot about traveling in China!! A great answer!
I just wanna add some words. Take toilet paper with u whenever u go cos many of the toilets in China won't provide them!
Apr 10, 2006 20:25
  • CHINACUTE
joewks I wish you and the borther the good trip in China. Maybe the next time you can come Shanghai? I think you would like this place!:-)

rogerinca thank you for what you say so good for China. I think youa good heart man. All you talk China always you talk so happy and uplook. some westperson here I feel no so daily happy like you? hehehe! :-)
Apr 10, 2006 21:27
  • CALIFORNIA
Kansas???If I met my foreign teacher who comes from Kansas first,I think I would be named Kansas:-)

Welcome,and Beijing is hot in that moment!
Apr 10, 2006 23:50
  • ASIANBRIDE
rogerinca and pinetree are so correct borthers to say words to win good heart forever everyone loves China but no one no more
Apr 13, 2006 21:27
  • ROGERINCA
Hi Joe, I knew there was one other thing that I wanted to add to your pre-trip list and I could not think of what it was, until today, while I was at my office !!!! Maybe others will read this too ??

When you obtain your US currency, at your bank, just prior to your departure, [inspect] each bill very carefully, especially the $100 denomination !!!! Make sure there are no alterations such as writing or drawing in pen on the bills, and maybe even rubber stamp marks that sometimes the bank will inadvertently mark up in sorting and counting.

They don’t have to be brand-new crisp bills, but they should be ‘clean’.

On my last trip in December, and upon my arrival at my hotel in, Guangzhou, I went to trade in some $100 bills for Yuan at the front desk. I failed to notice that on one of the bills, someone had taken a red pen and colored in the eyes of Ben Franklin!! The desk clerk in the hotel immediately noticed this and declined to accept it. So, I went next door to the large bank branch to exchange it; guess what, they examined the bill carefully, as they did at the hotel, and would not take it either.

Over the next two weeks in China, I tried my hardest to get rid of that bill, but to no avail !! LOL So, Ben traveled with me from Los Angeles, across the Pacific to China, he went everywhere I went in China and then he traveled back to L.A. with me, where I finally said goodbye to him !! :) :)

Apr 14, 2006 02:05
  • MAY001
Haha, Roger, such an interesting journey!
Post a Reply to: What should we bring to China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code