Menu
What's your favourite chinese dish? Mmmmm...
Apr 11, 2006 04:30
  • CHIIIINITA

Why do I always end eating the same dishes everyday????
I've been living in Beijing for already 7 months, and I still do not dare to orden different dishes while eating in a chinese restaurant! :(

The problem is that I cannot understand the menus, (actually I think that dishes names are the most difficult thing to learn in another language) and always when I dare to choose anything else, I get something completely unexpected...

What would you recommend me? What's your favourite dish in China? And...could you writte it in pingying with tones, pleeeease? Also, a description of it would be really helpful too... :D

It's just that I always see the locals eating really nice food, but I don't know how to order it! And it's a kind of annoying when you wanna try something new, but don't know what.

Thank you everybody! :)

Apr 11, 2006 04:43
  • RITA
Tell us first what kind of food you will be frowned on, like chicken feet, liver, etc, so that when people suggest, we can avoid those you would never try.
Apr 11, 2006 04:53
  • TINABEIJING
you just see the pic on the menu. Tell them what do you want to eat if they don't have pic. err.. I like si chuan food which is hot and numb. Kong Bao chiken. IoI and so on. I can't remember now....you make me starve... well, my e-mail is yahoo.com|tinabeijing666. send me e-mail. talk to ya later.
Apr 11, 2006 05:18
  • CHIIIINITA
Well...as you said, I'm not a chicken feet or liver fan. But I would be happy to taste all kind of veggie dishes and I also eat meat, my favourite is chicken, but I can eat pork or lamb too...
I love all kind of rice, noodles, soups. I don't like fish too much, but that's just me, because maybe other people reading your suggestions likes it...

And for example, I'll tell you all what is on our table when I go out with friends for lunch (always exactly the same, because anyone dares to try anyother dishes):

Kong pao ji ding
Di san xian
Todou si
yu xiang ji
suan xi lan hua or the really spicy green beans with chilies (I always forget the name)...

:) already waiting to hear from your taste, mmmm!
(It's already past six, and I'm hungry, that's probably why I asked this today...jeje)

Apr 11, 2006 08:19
  • INCHINA
My favourite dishes:

shu zhu rou (si chuan food)
Peking duck
la mian
mi xian(a kind of noodles made by rice)
da chao fan
yu xiang qie zi
jia chang tofu
song zi yu mi
toast sweet potato(is not a dish)
... ...

if you come to Shandong, i can introduce you more.
Apr 11, 2006 09:04
  • CALIFORNIA
Hi,Chiiiinita,

Please try to do it!!!And then you will find it is easy to order!My spanish friend was good at it now!

But the same to you at first!
Apr 11, 2006 20:22
  • MAY001
Next time when u see locals enjoy dishes happily, just point the dishes to the waiter/waitress and they can understand u clearly. LoL

I personally like Sichuan cuisine. Dishes like Shui Zhu Rou Pian, Yu Xiang Rou Si, Ma Po Toufu, Gong Bao Ji Ding are my favorite!
I also like Pao Cai Rou Si, very tasty and refreshing.
Apr 11, 2006 20:51
  • RITA
Hi Chiiiiinita,

I recommend dishes with Yu Xiang flavor, it's a kind of sauce made of ginger, garlic and hot peppers, close to the flavor of fish, but no fish at all, like

Yu Xiang Rou Si
Yu Xiang Qie Zi
Yu Xiang San Si
... ...

I think dishes with ketchup sauce are also excellent and easier to accept for foreigners, like:

Qie Zhi Niu Rou - Beef with ketchup sauce
Qie Zhi Pai Gu - Ribs w/ ketchup
Qie Zhi You Yu - Squid w/ ketchup
... ...

Some vegetables that worth a try:

Tang Cu Ou Pian - Lotus with sugar and vinegar
Su Chao You Mai Cai - don't know it's english name :(
Gan Bian Dou Jiao - Stir fried green beans
Cui Pi Dou Fu - Crispy tender bean curd
... ...

Zha Jiang Mian is also famous in Beijing
Apr 12, 2006 00:15
  • ROGERINCA
OMG, you guys are making me so hungry !!!

And the Chinese restaurant closest to my home, closed at my 9:30 !!!

I think all these suggestions are so good Chiiiinita !! Make a list and keep updating it and take it with you when you go out to eat !!!

I, too, love the Sichuan style dishes, they are my favorite !! So very good !!! :) :)

Apr 12, 2006 03:39
  • RITA
Try this:

Yang Zhou Chao Fan - Stir Fried Rice Yangchou Style.

Apr 12, 2006 04:41
  • CHIIIINITA
I'm taking notes, I'm taking notes.... :D
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What's your favourite chinese dish? Mmmmm...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code