Menu
Be A Man
Apr 18, 2006 06:22
  • CHIIIINITA
MAY001, your reply was reaaaaally interesting to me, I had never thought about the "Three Obeys". In fact, I read once that children were supossed to be really respectful to their parents and grandparents....doesn't that include the mothers too? Or just the male relatives?

By the way, I believe that travelling is something more than enjoying beautiful landscapes and visiting tourist attractions, culture is most interesting fact about going to different countries...so, why not do ask all our doubts about differences between cultures in a travelling forum? Where else to get a better answer than the one you all can give to us, you that have travelled, lived or are chinese?

I am really sorry if you thought that the post has become an argument, because I don't think so... actually it's a pitty that we cannot see the facial expressions of the people when replying, because really I have always a big smile! :D

Pinetree, it's very interesting to know that you had such a figure in your past, because as you said, we didn't have it in western countries. The roll that could be the most similar to your scholars, would be our ancient monks spendind their lifes rewritting books and studying, but I don't think that's the same, because the couldn't get marry...
That's why I guess the expression "Be a man..", as showing to be strong, doesn't have its origins in the old China. In fact, always when I hear this sentence, my mind always associate it to men in Texas wearing cowboy boots, chewing tobacco and making themselves a tatoo while drinking a beer... ;) (no ofense no Texas men)

And I really wasn't menting to turn it into a battle of sexs!!! nooo!!! jajajja...but you know, some sentences had a lot of things implyed, and an answers leads to another answer...and you know, usually when you start talking about strawberry cakes, the most probably is that you're going to end talking about the best way of cleaning your bike! :D

In any case...isn't it great to have such different cultures all around the world??? I love it! :)
Apr 18, 2006 06:38
  • DREAMON
Hey girl, I knew there was something I liked about you. We should all stick together. Welcome to my house anytime.
Apr 18, 2006 07:12
  • PINETREE
I like you, Chiinita.
A request : pl show your pretty face on your profile.
Apr 18, 2006 08:48
  • CHIIIINITA

I attached it once in one of my posts, because "somebody" jajajja was doubting about me really being a girl...And it caused such a terrifying effect, that the moderators even deleted the post! ;)

So imagine if I would put it in my identity profile, that would meant no more TCG Forum for Chiiiinita anymore! They would probably even bann me forever! :P
Apr 18, 2006 09:57
  • DERFUHRER
If PINETREE raised the same issue when he 1st joined this Forum too than thats all that matters.Theres no room for newbies if you dont like the site - dont use it but theres no need to tell everyone else not to use it. It seems to draw a lot of complete newbies which makes the board (usually the only place I visit of a site) look like one big help desk. Got it ?!
Apr 18, 2006 21:03
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Dear ZENGYONGYUAN,

TravelChinaGuide community welcomes everyone who loves China and traveling in China. What's more, we also welcome every topic that is related to China. Not only traveling in China, but also Chinese culture, Chinese language, Chinese cuisine, Chinese people, etc. Everything about China except those against the Forum Rules and Users Agreement are welcomed!

If you are interested in China, just share your feeling with us!!

Yours sincerely,
Community Moderators
Apr 18, 2006 21:10
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,it is an interesting thread:-0

Be a Man!!!
Apr 18, 2006 21:19
  • PINETREE
Somehow threads written by me seem to arouse a lot of controversies & also attract some pests.
And as someone said, the discussions turn out completely different from the original idea/ intention of the threads. Yes, it can be fun, tho.
Let's see whether these pests will reappear tonite.
Apr 19, 2006 19:56
  • MAY001
Dear CHIIIINITA,
Good question!
"Three Obeys" is one of the most important 'virtue' for Chinese women in old days. At the same time, children were suppossed to respect their parents. Not only his/her father, but also the mother. These two principles are not an antinomy.
For example, in a big family, the father is the genearch. And others must obey him. If he died, the oldest son will become the genearch. The genearch respect his mother, but the mother won't intermeddle in the sons business. He may ask her mother for suggestions, but the genearch's decision is the last decision.
Not very clear, sorry for my poor English!
Apr 19, 2006 21:49
  • PINETREE
U are quite well-versed in old culture.
So do u feel lucky being in your 20s than say 300s ?!
Maybe you can also tell Chiiinita about the "shu sheng" culture of old.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Be A Man
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code