Menu
Be A Man
Apr 17, 2006 18:28
  • PINETREE
I think my thread has thoroughly been misunderstood by most participants.

(a) It is not meant to be a thread on sexism - never meant to compare men with women here.
(b) Rather, it is a post on why men are expected to act in certain manner eg "Hey, be a man, man... ", etc.
(c) That in olden China there was this unique scholar or "shu sheng" culture and this has not been present in any other societies in the world.
(d) There is no emphasis on what and which is good or bad. Am not in the position to do so.

It must be due my poor communication skill. So let's close the thread here so as not to arouse any further controversy that may get out of hand (tho I love controveries !). Thank you for the participation - some are obviously not ready & equipped yet !

For MyCow - U joined membership just to pen these few remarkable words about me - thank you very much for your effort. I don't know anything about you & what u doing here too ! But from the mannerism & abrasive utterances, it seems to me that you are an over-ripe banana. U a female & Chinese ?! Well, if indeed u are trying to impress anyone about our Chinese culture from your intelligent utterances, I think most will gasp as in the American way "OMG" !!

And this is additional for u, Woniu - nv hai zi jia, zheng cu lu, zhi yin bu du sheng xian shu, bu du xian shu bu zhi li. Ni dai cuo di fang le, hao de bu xue, xue dao yangren de zang dong xi, yi dian wen hua dou mei you, hao zi wei zhi ba.
Apr 17, 2006 23:38
  • TRACYQ
Yeah, be a man!

This is a statement to tell somebody to act noble, brave, honor, gentleman or to be straight-forward etc. Woman tend to be wishy-washy (luo suo).

This statement has got nothing to do with man or woman. This statement is better understood by Singaporeans than by any other Nationalities here.
Apr 18, 2006 00:20
  • PINETREE
Don't know about other nationalities. But u sure don't understand too.
So SUMO.
Apr 18, 2006 01:11
  • RITA
Relax guy, enjoy this:
http://www.flashfunpages.com/couple.swf
Apr 18, 2006 01:12
  • SANFRAN
Hey, if people keep singing out \"Hey, be a man, man... \", then that\'s got nothin\' to do with olden China. I don\'t know what goes in Singapore but that\'s probably got nothin\' to do with China either.
Apr 18, 2006 01:17
  • SANFRAN
Good joke Rita to lighten the mood of this place
Apr 18, 2006 02:01
  • MAY001
In the past, women had to obey their father, husband and son. That is called 三从 (Three Obey). It was consider to be one of the most important virtues of women. There's aonther old saying in China goes it is a great virtue that women lacks intelligence (女子无才便是德). That is to say, in old China, men believed that they were the dominant part in family and society. Women were considered to be followers.
Now the situation is better and better. Three Obey and lacks of intelligence are no longer a essential virtue of women. But still, women are living in a society which is mostly dominated by men. There is still a great price to pay if women want to be in the same status with men.

Forgive my poor translation!
Apr 18, 2006 02:44
  • ZENGYONGYUAN
Forgive me... just a poor, retired computer engineer, living in ChengDu for 2 years, happiy married to a 'normal' Chinese woman, with more brain power, and more common sense than I have ever seen in any "western" woman... she is, as far as I can see, just a typical Chinese woman, and very, very able to take me on, in any discussion or argument..... But forgive me if I also ask, what has this "thread", which has turned into an argument, got to do with "TravelChinaGuide" ???? am I missing a point here? or am I correct in thinking this isn't the kind of place for this type of thing?
Apr 18, 2006 03:30
  • PINETREE
I raised the same issue when I 1st joined this Forum too.
Apr 18, 2006 03:52
  • PRIDE
Well you don\'t need a million dollars to do nothing, man.
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Be A Man
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code