Menu
FOREIGNER WORKS AND LIVE IN CHINA, HOW?
Sep 9, 2004 05:54
  • SASHA
Sorry for this BIG title, but I had to attract your attention, people! ;-)

OK, I'm from Europe, and soon I will come to Guangzhou to live and work as English teacher.
How can I live there, and what I need to have from documents, please give me all details, if you can.
All I know is that I will have regular Visa (30 days) when I come to China, and a official Contract with that School, so next to do/get, should be...?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sasha from Bosnia.
Sep 9, 2004 09:14
  • LESAIGNEUR
look this Thread

http://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum_search_2.asp?pp=1&i=2391
Sep 9, 2004 09:25
  • DAISY
Hi, Sasha!
According what you mentioned above, I think you should get a Visit / Business Visa (F) or Working Visa (Z).

Visa F is issued to those foreigners who are invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and cultural exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of less than six months.
The invitation letter from the inviting unit or a visa notification letter/telegram from the authorised unit is required.

While Visa Z is issued to foreigners who are to take up a post or employment in China, and their accompanying family members.
An Employment Licence from either your proposed employer in China or from the provincial or municipal labor authority is required to be obtained. A visa notification letter or a telegram issued by an authorised organization or company as appropriate should accompany this document.

I think the invitation letter and the Licence cab be offered by the school that you will work for in Guangzhou.
And what you should do should contact much with the school.

And by the way, which county are you living in? Maybe you can get more information about that from the Chinese Embassy of the city where you live.

Sep 15, 2004 04:22
  • SASHA
Thanks for your answers, friends.

Well, I've contacted Chinese embassy here, and they told me to get only "Working Invitation Letter", from my employer (that English training center), issued with Education Buerau in GZ, after that, embassy will easily give me Working Visa. But... there is a problem.
That GZ Education Buerau refused to issue/certificate Invitation Letter for me, and now Training Center don't know how to do, and I don't know how to do...
Please help me, guys, I really need it ASAP :-(
Cheers,
Sasha, Bosnia, Europe.
Nov 1, 2007 23:02
  • TRACE
Hi Sasha. My name is Tracy and I am also in the position that you were in about visa permits etc. I am living in Guangzhou and applying for teaching positions. I have come here on a tourist visa and was told that could be changed to a work visa once I get a job and sign a contract. Could you let me know how you went with all the paperwork
Thanks
Nov 2, 2007 02:09
  • LEMONCACTUS
Sasha,

I think you need to be careful and make sure that the school that you are going to is not messing you around. All the questions that you have asked above should have been answered and dealt with by the school that you are coming to teach for.... unless the school is trying to get around the official system and employ you without "officially" employing you. Perhaps this school has never employed a foreigner before or doesn't have the capacity to supply what you need (ie: the letter of invitation)- in which case, I would be wary about working for them. A good school will give you the invitation letter so that you can apply for the necessary visas etc. Of course you can come to China with a tourist visa - and it is absolutely true that the school can convert this for you - but make sure this is the case.

Yes. As above, what Trace says is correct. It is possible to come to China on a tourist visa that is valid for 30 days. Within this time you can find a job and get the visa converted into a "residents" visa" that will allow you to live and work in China. You will usually have to have a medical test too (here in China). This is again an official way and varies from school to school, province to province.

There is an unofficial way whereby the school employs you as a teacher on a tourist visa and helps you to renew the tourist visa.... I have heard of this situation. This allows the school to get out of paying certain fees etc to the PSB and other places. The fact is though, that this is not legal and if it is discovered there could be problems.

Good luck.
Nov 10, 2007 08:00
  • APAULT
Sorry but what you say LemonC about converting a tourist visa into a residents visa is not correct. Once you have a Z visa your employer converts it into a resident visa. While you have a tourist visa (L)you MUST exit the mainland to get a Z visa...but not to get an F visa which you can get on the mainland or overseas...but you are not supposed to work on that.
Dec 10, 2007 12:29
GUESTMATHAN I am have done My MBA ,BBA
Plus a 8 months work experience in Taiwan
I am looking for a Job in CHINA SHANGHAI ,,i will be coming on my Tourist visa . The query I have is, "I started applying to all the companies for the past two months back and all the companies request me to come down for the interview" ,, is there any possibility of me getting a JOB after I come to Mainland in International Sales or MArketing

Thanking you
Yours truly
mathan.k

Please feel free to reply me or provide me suggestions ,
Dec 18, 2007 12:15
GUESTENDURANCE am a Nigerian i want to work in china who possible? please inform me at yahoo.com|success4nd 08037937974
Feb 8, 2008 06:49
GUEST47140 hi paul,

it would be really great if youcould kindly email me your email address at yahoomail.com.i|street99india have a few querys and i would be really grateful if u could help me

best regards

murtaza

india
Feb 14, 2008 13:37
  • BEIJINGER
make sure to have business visa while you are in China, as the Olympics is approaching, the government is gonna check everyone's documents more tightly. the school's promise never counts, get them start working on it ...
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: FOREIGNER WORKS AND LIVE IN CHINA, HOW?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code