Menu
Golfing holiday in Guangzhou, China
May 10, 2006 21:23
  • BIRDIEJK
Will be in Guangzhou 16-25 May and playing golf at our affiliated clubs at Guangzhou International Golf Club, Xiacun Town, Zengcheng City and at Guangzhou Luhu Golf & CC, Luhu, Lujing Road. Would appreciate any advice on:

1. reasonable hotel accom (near/easy access to either one of these clubs). Our preference would be to stay in a golf resort as we are not very keen on shopping/sightseeing.

2. How to best spend the 10 days?
Proposed Plan .. feasible/advisable? any better suggestions?
17-19 May : around Guangzhou and playing golf at the 2 clubs
20-22 May : Macau/HK ?? or Hainan Island 20-23 May ??
24-25 May : back to Guangzhou .. Free & Easy

Many thanks!
May 10, 2006 22:27
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
Dear BIRDIEJK,
Welcome to China!

I don't know too much about Guangzhou Golf Clubs. But they might provide accommodations?? Maybe you can ask them. You can also check Guangzhou Hotels at:
http://hotel.travelchinaguide.com/guangzhou-hotels/

Second, I think your route is quite good. IMO, Hainan is better than HK/Macau because I like the nice bay!

Good luck!
May 10, 2006 23:58
  • BIRDIEJK
many thanks Siva for yr response.

hv checked out the hotels but hoping for more views from golfers who are familiar with the area before making a decision.

best regards!
May 11, 2006 01:04
  • PINETREE
Hi,
I have been to GZ many times to play golf too. I love golfing in China. But I tend to select the places to go to for this enjoyment.
At this time of the year, I avod Southern China - it's too hot - u might as well stay back and play in Singapore.
Since they are your reciprocal clubs, enjoy your games. There is nothing much sightseeing IN GZ anyway. But probably good nightlife. 10 days there are too long - try to go somewhere nice and cool to extend your enjoyment. Suggest the following for your conisderation :-
Nanjing, Shanghai, Dalian/Qingdao & even Xian.
If u need to remain in GZ, then try Mission Hills - 10 courses to occupy you for at least 1 week.
Have fun.
May 11, 2006 02:41
Hi,

Warmest welcome to our service apartments, which is in Oriental Pearl Garden, 10 min by taxi to Luhu Golf Club, a nice residential neighborhood, with 24 hour security, next to scenery Baiyun Mountain, Guangzhou stadium, with all sort of sports facilities.

We are a translation and consultant firm, whilst leasing out service apartments for oversea tenants. Visit our website to understand us better: www.find2fine.com.

We'd be glad to show you around Guangzhou and China. Please feel free to contact us if we can be of any assistance.

Hope to serve you in the near future!

Kelly

Email/MSN: find2fine.com|marketing
TEL: 8620 8626 9772
May 11, 2006 13:08
  • BIRDIEJK
Hi Pinetree

many thanks for yr response. had revised my itinerary - 3 days Guangzhou, 3 days Hainan Island, then 4 days Shanghai. Yeah, was a little greedy on the 10 days and got panicky when i realised that there wasn't much i would like to do in Gz!

Got a few queries:

1. which is a better option: flt or ferry to Hainan Island from Gz. (Will play Yalong Bay and sightsee the next day).

2. fly to Shanghai from Hainan Island on Sun, 21st or should we get back to Gz, then take the flt from Gz to Shanghai?

3. our return leg must be Shanghai/Guangzhou as we need to catch the SQ flt at 5.45 pm on Thu, 25th. Too risky to aim for Shanghai/Guangzhou/Singapore on the 25th? Better to return to Guangzhou a day earlier, on the 24th? (trying to avoid a one nite hotel check-in lugging golf bags and luggages)

p.s. played at Mission Hills and Kunming ... so now trying out new golfing destinations. Will be at SunIsland Resort in Shanghai. Have you played at Tianma (15km from SunIsland) - a 'must-play' course?

appreciate very much your feedback.

Happy Holidays!
May 11, 2006 18:52
  • PINETREE
Good that you are trying out more options rather than just stay in GZ for all your 10 days.
1. Have not taken ferry to Hainan from GZ.
2. Save time, suggest fly direct from Sanya to SH.
3. U can try flying back from SH to GZ then Sin on same day as there are many flights from SH-GZ. Departure from GZ in the evening gives u a lot of time allowance, so can try flying back all in the same day. Spending an extra night in SH is preferred over GZ.
4. SH's TianMa is a very good course. An international tournament was held there only very recently. SunIsland is a bit far from SH city - about 1 hrs. It's a flat course - there 2 courses there. U from OCC or Laguna ?
5. Nanjing has 2 very good courses too - GingoLake(27 holes) & almost completed SunIsland(only 12 holes ready) - just 2-3 hrs by train from SH - can try if u guys got the time.

Enjoy China.
May 11, 2006 20:05
  • PINETREE
This website should be useful to you - esp domestic train/air flight schedule :
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/search/index.htm

When booking domestic air tickets, negotiate for discount. U can get between 30-50% off quite easily(very occasionally as much as 70% off !). But being a foreigner, it would be advisable to book your tickets via your hotel travel agency - as outside agents ( who normally offer better discount) may not trust u !
GZ's international/domestic airports are within same building.
SH's are not - the normal domestic airport at Hongqiao is about 45 mins away by taxi from Pudong Airport - taxi costs approx 150 rmb. So take this into a/c.
Luggage unloading is quite efficient at both most Chinese airports.
May 11, 2006 22:47
  • PINETREE
O yes, another point - at SH's Hongqiao airport - I understand that there could be difficulty getting taxi from there - not sure if this is true, though.
To save transport cost to Pudong Airport, try the airport shuttle bus that ply along the main tourist hotel areas - very cheap compared to taxi ( if I remember correctly, it's about rmb 20 compated to rmb 150 by taxi ). But check on boarding points & whether they allow large luggages like golf bags. Allow for upto 1 hr travelling time from end to end.
Weather forecast for SH next week - cool hovering in the 20s. For GZ - hot, around 30 C.
Have fun and return to China pl.
May 12, 2006 00:06
  • BIRDIEJK
Wow! Pinetree ... thanks a lot for your huge goodie bag of tips. will digest it and insert the gems in my itinerary.

we are from Palm Resort - reciprocal clubs at GIGC, Luhu and SunIsland but not Tianma. If SunIsland has basically 2 flat courses, should we opt to play the Old or the New? Then, we could make use of the extra day to go Tianma. we are staying at SunIsland as its facilities (on their website) looks great (lots of restaurants, activities ... is it true??). Tianma seems nice too but no one responded to my email when i tried to get in touch with them some time back. we have always opted and are very happy to stay within golf resorts as we are not into shopping, sightseeing or pubbing. Having coffee overlooking the fairways is very relaxing and it evokes happy memories (good AND bad shots especially ... hahaha).

hope we have great fun on this trip ... it will be our first time having to move around so much ... will submit a trip report on our return :)

cheers
May 12, 2006 00:34
  • PINETREE
Yes, staying in the accomodation of the golf resort is very nice - since u are not interested to move around in the city. Usually the accomodation is very spacious & comfy - value for money.
Tian Ma is very nice but expensive - I think around 800 rmb a game.
The old course at Sun Island is a walking course, I think. We are not used to it unless the weather is cool. The new course is good enough to play twice.
Palm offers a very attractive reciprocal arrangement at SunIsland - u pay less than 200 rmb, I think. U just pay for the buggies - so suggest u repeat play there instead of @ TianMa. It is a good course, nonetheless. But warning - its location is remote. There is supposed to be a fun amenities at Sun Island but I believe they are not really fully operational !
Both GIGC & Luhu are nice as well.
U should enjoy Sanya - plenty of everything incl the sun !!

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Golfing holiday in Guangzhou, China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code