Menu
HELP-Shenzhen Lost
May 31, 2006 02:37
  • CHILDOFWU
Hello Shenzhen,

I have just recently started a six month contract out in Shenzhen. I am completely lost and to be honest a little bored! I am very interested in the Chinese culture but my putongwa and cantonese is very limited. I am getting by with lots and lots of theatrical jestures but I think it's only a matter of time before I end up blindy in a resteraunt munchin on dog meat or someone thinks my theatrical jestures are some form of kung fu and I end up as dim sum.

If anyone out there has any recommendations on places of cultural intest or anywhere I could meet anyone who speaks ENGLISH would be grand, or even if anyones in the same position as me and wants to look around, have a laugh and go for a few drinks.

Hope to hear from someone soon,

Cheers,

Johnny

May 31, 2006 02:55
  • PINETREE
Hihi, Johnny.
Didn't u check up on SZ before going there for the contract ?
SZ generally hasn't got much scenery & historicals to offer. It is a business centre and most of the residents there are in-transit. They will move on when their businesses are done. Hopefully this will change with time.
If you wanna culture, scnery, etc, move northwards or westwards. SZ & Guangdong are but a very small part of China. Will let the other members tell u what are in store for those interested to see more of China.
Btw, the Chinese may eat almost anything but certainly not human beings - unless your flesh is special ?!
May 31, 2006 03:22
  • CHILDOFWU
Thank you good sir,

Unfortunitly I did'nt have much time to do anything before I came out. It was either stay in rainy ol Britian or pack your bags now and leave for China (which I now see the size of a rain drop out here can knock a man out)

Anyhow I'll research the northern and western regions, but if you have any names of places that would be even better.

Thanks again!
May 31, 2006 03:36
  • CALIFORNIA
Don't worry!Life will be better and better......
May 31, 2006 07:06
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Johny,
I think most of feel the same as you are right now. i was told if you can make it thru the first three weeks you would survive. I've been in china for three years and after five months back home I am on my back for more.

As to meeting other expats. Do a google search. most of the major cities have a website and I'm pretty sure that Shenzhen has an energetic and enthusiastic 'Hash house harriers' group

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread10271.html

and

http://shenzhen.mychinastart.com/

Look under shenzhen sport and leisure for HHH events

This should give you some ideas where to look for and find some other Native speakers. good luck
May 31, 2006 08:23
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Johnny

Jabarootoo has got it exactly right and given you sound advice.

My first week in China was a real trial, not so much boredom as complete shock... and I thought I knew what to expect!

Now I can't seem to leave either :)

Just hang in there a little longer and give yourself time, you'll probably end up addicted to China too!

Good Luck.
May 31, 2006 10:02
  • PINETREE
Sorry, friend. Didn't realise that you were homesick.
Yes, listen to the sound advices of our other members here & who are from other countries. It takes some time to adjust to a completely new environment. I reckon it is indeed a huge cultural shock for someone from a totally different continent and here for the 1st time.
Take care.
May 31, 2006 11:53
  • LOVECHINA2
Jonny,
Buy a copy of the "Shenzhen Daily" newspaper in English for 1 RMB or you can read it online at "Shenzhendaily.com" You will be able to find other English speaking people in it:)) Another place is online and called "Shenzhen Fever"
Hope this helps you and once you get the hang of things you will have fun..I know I did when I was in Shenzhen:))
May 31, 2006 20:20
  • CHILDOFWU
Thank you everybody,

I'll check out all the websites. It's just good to know that most felt like this to begin with.

It is indeed a hell of a culture shock! I'm sure it will just take a little time to get used to dodging the snot rockets/spitting and peoples need to speak above 100 decibels. But I guess "when in rome, do as the romans do"

Thank you all again. I apprieciate all your help. Hopefully by the time I leave I'll be a master in the arts of chopsticks, bargining and kung fu.
Jun 1, 2006 06:38
  • JABAROOTOO
Hang on to your sense of humour. After six months you will have mastered a few things as you've mentioned. They are the more important things. The others we can all gladly leave behind when we depart.
Jun 2, 2006 13:39
  • SCHINAJJ
Hi there. I've been in Shenzhen for almost 2 years now. What part of town are you staying in? About the only place here you will find many Americans, or anything even remotely similar to life in the States, is Shekou. If you want to sight see or relax there are a few things around. There are a couple of Temples, the beaches are fun (Xiao Mei Sha and Da Mei Sha -although, of course, it has been raining for about a month now!)there is an ancient fortress called Dapeng Fortress, a shopping center called the MixC that is exactly like an American mall, and many dance clubs, etc. Also, if you have time, day trips to HK, HK outlying islands, and Guangzhou are fun. If you need any help trying to figure out the buses and such just let me know. I was totally lost and overwhelmed when I first got here too, luckily, my first week here I met an American that had been living in China for 13 years and he has helped me countless times. I try my best to return the favor by helping other newcomers! :)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: HELP-Shenzhen Lost
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code