Menu
Something Hard to Explain
Jun 8, 2006 21:08
  • PINETREE
There are so many things in this world that we find it so difficult to explain - at this stage at least.
A simple example is the discovery/planting of rice and wheat - our basic food.
For rice - this is the staple food of most Asian countries. How was the use of rice 1st discovered ? How come the various ancient peoples know how to plant rice and harvest it as food.
I suppose the same for wheat.
Any ideas ?
Jun 8, 2006 21:31
  • CONNY129
I have to leave this question to biologists or historians :P
Jun 8, 2006 21:53
  • LOVEISVERB
When I read the title of this thread, thought it was to discuss something superstitious, which i am interested in very much. But quite the opposite when i see the contents, sorry, I can't tell you about this... lol
Jun 8, 2006 21:55
  • CALIFORNIA
God created it,and lead humans to do that,haha:-)
Jun 8, 2006 21:56
  • MAY001
Yes, think abou the first time human use fire! How could they found them?
Jun 8, 2006 22:13
  • LOVECHINA2
In 2003 South Korean Archaeolgist found what they think is the oldest known domesticated rice.Between 14,000 and 15,000 years old.Pinetree..if we can find someone that old maybe they can shed some more light of it for us:))
My thought was at one time someone was starving to death and started eating anything he/she could find and found that is wild plant(rice) kept them alive and started to grow it themself:))
Jun 8, 2006 22:29
  • MAY001
Sounds reasonable, lovechina2.
Jun 9, 2006 00:02
  • PINETREE
U are not wrong and don't be disappointed, Verb. This rice thing is just a simple example of many things to come - superstitions incl ! It all depends on participants here.
For me, I don't buy the theory of "discovery by accident" of rice or many other things that we cannot explain their existence now. Maybe 100 yrs in the future, some of these things can be explained logically.
As regards superstitions - why do they exist ? What are the most "silly" superstitions that u have come across ?
Hehehe !!
Jun 9, 2006 00:24
  • PINETREE
The process of finding rice, collecting seeds, planting, harvesting before finally going to the boiling pot, is a long process.
Coincidentally many other Asian countries also know how to plant/harvest rice.
Where did they get the knowledge from in those days and this knowlesdge seemed to be known to a great deal of people spread all over Asia or the the world. These different people couldn't have discovered rice & know-how on their own. Accidents don't happen so often.
Similarly the early Chinese seemed to have so much advanced knowledge that other civilisation didn't seem to know. How come ?
Hohoho !!
Jun 9, 2006 01:09
  • RITA
Well, I am not surprised at how people not only discovered those plants but also started to grow them consciously. Neither do I feel strange how people started using fire, because spontaneous combustion happens frequently in the nature, found it useful was not that difficult to me, hehe...

What amazed me was how people started to domesticate animals - wild animals/ fowls to domestic animals/ fowl AND made some of them food (pig, cow and sheep, chicken, duck ... etc), some of them helper and friends or companion (dog, cat) and some just for fun (other pets). To me, training a dog go to the bathroom regularly is challenging enough:-))

And look at the whole world, people amazingling chose very much the same or similar kinds of animals... Why didn't they choose tigers, lions elephants or monkeys etc, wild dogs or wild boars are just the same aggressive as lions or tigers or wolf...?!
Jun 9, 2006 01:20
  • PINETREE
U got a very good point, Rita.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Something Hard to Explain
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code