Menu
I do not speak Chinese!!!
Jun 11, 2006 12:39
  • EDUGUCA
I'm form Spain and I'd like to go Beijing this Summer. I can speak English (and, of course, Spanish), and I do not speak Chinese at all.

Do you think that will a problem for us?? Is it possible to stay here for 8 days speaking only in English?

Thank U for your help!
Jun 11, 2006 15:52
  • INMEDIC
Hi,
There are people on this web site who would be your guide and translator. If you look at earlier threads there are always someone asking to be a guide and translator. I do not think you can go around Beijing by yourself and not be able to speak any Chinese. I hope you find someone to help. Good luck
Jun 11, 2006 20:26
  • CALIFORNIA
No problem,Eduguca!

Most of the tourist place has english introduction.And many youth can speak english.

Good luck!Welcome~~~~~~
Jun 11, 2006 20:29
  • MAY001
Yes, and maybe California can help you while you are in Beijing. Find some students, and they will be glad to help you~
Jun 11, 2006 20:31
  • CALIFORNIA
Haha,of course,

I'd like to help everybody who wanan come to Beijing:-)

Welcome!
Jun 11, 2006 21:08
  • LEMONCACTUS
No problem Eduguca,

You certainly don't need to speak Chinese to enjoy Beijing. [Although I always think it's courtesy to learn 'hello', 'goodbye' and 'thankyou'.]

California, of course, is totally right. You'll find English speaking Chinese working at most hotels and tourist attractions, as well as information in English. There are hawkers selling maps in English on every corner (you will hear them shouting "MAP, ENGLISH"!) and the metro and buses also have English commentary.

A useful tip though is to pick up a business card from your hotel so that if you need to get back you can show it to a taxi driver.

Have a brilliant trip.

NB: I travelled alone to BJ for a week knowing very little Chinese and had no big problems, of course it's not quite as easy as getting around in your own country, but then, that's all part of the fun :)
Jun 11, 2006 22:08
  • PEA28COCK
Hi Eduguca,

You needn't worry so much about the language problem. You know that the Olympic Games will be held in Beijing in 2008, therefore more and more Beijing locals are trying their best to learn English in order to provide perfect service to guests in 2008.

Besides, I think LC is right. Unfamiliarity can bring more fun to your trip.
Jun 11, 2006 22:23
  • RITA
Just come in to back up the idea that you won't have any major problems traveling in Beijing without having to pick up Chinese lessons before you come. I agree with Calif, LC, May and Peacock!

Enjoy your trip in Beijing! ^_^
Jun 12, 2006 07:06
  • JABAROOTOO
You certainly don't need to speak Chinese.

What you will need are

Map reading skills
Underground train mapping skills
a good sense of humour
loads of patience
an open mind
and a camera at the ready

In 8 days you can learn a little language and really have some fun.

If you want you can engage a guide but not altogether necessary.

Enjoy your stay

PS Be sure to have your hotel business card so you can ask directions back there or show a taxi driver. They say to give it to him upside down and see if he can read. He will have to turn it the right way first.
I was taking public transport on my own around a city which does not have a lot of English speakers although there seem to be more now. I got a little help from time to time.
Jun 13, 2006 06:05
  • EDUGUCA
Thank u everybody for your answers!!!

I think I'll be able to travel and survive for 8 days....

I will tell u when I'll finish my travel.

Thank u again!!
Aug 18, 2006 21:09
  • FRANKDONG
No problem,my friend,some people all the know english in beijing city now
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: I do not speak Chinese!!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code