Menu
Best jobs in China, Top 10, Statistics find
Jun 22, 2006 08:52
  • APAULT
Hey we got two threads in one here: the role of the teacher and expat salaries.

I'll talk about the second. As a foreign teacher (of English) I can assure you that we do not come here for the money. We are worse off than if we stayed at home, so most of us are here for the experience - and a good experience it has been so far.

It is true we mostly have a good lifestyle here, but there are some negatives too, like not having a car and the flexibility it brings. Those of us who are older teachers have financial commitments at home - such as storing home furniture and insurances that we cannot just drop. These can take a big chunk of our RMB.

Most of us are not paid for the summer break of 2 months and typically we receive around half pay for the Spring Break. Most of us have families overseas and if we need to make emergency trips home they are expensive. In our own countries we have substantial compensation if we are injured at work or in an accident in a taxi etc... these are missing in China. We are advised by employers to take out medical insurance at home...hardly, that would take up most of our RMB salary! We are not complaining we know most of these things before we sign up.

At the moemnt there is a shortage of foreign teachers. If this problem is to be overcome there is a remedy, increase the pay....but when you allow market forces to rule you will then attract teachers who are solely after the money.

So please do not think we are in it for the money. We are here to experience this interesting country and maybe contribute to its development.

Thank you, China, for giving me this opportunity to experience life here:)
Oct 2, 2007 19:31
GUEST85792 I am not a teacher but I am a foreigner. I spent 6 months in China and go to know many foreigner english teachers. Foreigners can make more money in their own country, but the cost of living is also much higher than China. If the foreigner has a house payment or any other financial responsibility in their own country, 5000 RMB will not be enough. These people lose money when they are in China.
If the foreigner completely gives up their life in their own country and has no foreign bills to pay, they can live a good life in China on 5000 RMB. The cost of living in China is relatively low compared to this salary. I imagine the reason schools are willing to pay foreign teachers a higher wage is becuase of their mastery of their native language and the spoken accent. I met many students who were taught english by Chinese teachers. They always had difficulty understanding me (I am American). What I found ironic is that school would hire any white foreigner at these higher wages. For many white foreigners english is not their native language. They are no more qualified to teach english than a chinese teacher. Schools should seek native speakers, not any foreigner with a white face. Aussies, Americans, British, South Africans, Canadians. These are the native speakers. It doesnt make sense to pay a teacher from France 5000 RMB.
Oct 17, 2007 08:30
GUEST12218 what is the best job?I'd like to say the job deal with people,like selesmen.Develpoing potential is always important.If we only see the payment ,as my opinion the guide is also a good job
Nov 24, 2007 23:48
GUEST78136 i think its a real shame that these are the monthly salaries for chinese workers. i make 1500 rmb an hour and thats on a bad day.
Nov 28, 2007 08:05
GUEST22436 I would like to know if US1700 a month is a descent salary in Mongolia and whether it can afford one a very good living standards. I may be relocating there for a lecture's position
Apr 11, 2008 17:13
GUESTVICKY Hello,

I would like to learn more about the real estate market in GuanZhou, China.

Vicky
Apr 11, 2008 17:21
GUEST20333 Hello Cali, How can I contact you directly?

yahoo.com|voong8929 is my contact info.
May 4, 2008 00:23
GUEST74207 i don't think salesman can make soooo much money in CHINA

it's not ture!!!
May 17, 2008 11:10
  • VANESSACYZ
I think that it is highly possible for a teacher to be making 4-5k/month...especially if you are a foriegner.
teaching english/chinese at language schools/centers in the big cities like shanghai, beijing and guangzhou can get you 4000-5000 a month if u work a 10hr< week.

For me, im only a highschooler and i make 120/hr teaching english to chinese housewives and chinese to foriegners. Jugling school with teaching isnt that bad, its only a 8-10 hr working week... and i dont have to work every day.
think about it guys, if you had more than just a highschool diploma, you'd be makin soooo much more than me.
this is the land of opportunities...make the most of it! (:
Jun 9, 2008 19:51
GUESTNIL Is it the reality? I guess not. Take a look at the east coastal areas and the middle parts or the west territories, then u will figure out the gap among them is how tremendous. May it be the average, no one is likely to be convinced. When can the sun shine in the vast midddle and western areas, when comes the results.
Page 4 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Best jobs in China, Top 10, Statistics find
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code