Menu
Weather Forecast: Typhoon Jelawat to land on S. China
Jun 28, 2006 09:01
  • RUNNERMORE
Typhoon Jelawat to land on S. China

Source:Xinhua 2006-06-28

The Guangzhou central observatory said here on Tuesday that the typhoon Jelawat, number two this year, will land on south China on Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

As of 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, the center of Jelawat was located at 17.1 north latitude and 115.1 east longitude, which was about 600 kilometers southeast to the city of Yangjiang in Guangdong Province.

The top wind speed near the center is 18 meters per second and it is moving northwestward at the speed of 15 to 20 kilometers per hour.

The observatory said Jelawat might land on east Hainan or west Guangdong from Wednesday night to Thursday morning.

The typhoon is expected to bring rainfalls to the areas, which will ease the week-long high temperature in Guangdong.

Stay safe!

Jun 28, 2006 19:43
  • MAY001
Take care!!
Jun 28, 2006 22:05
  • CALIFORNIA
So terrible!

I have never met typhoon?how was it???
Jun 28, 2006 22:10
  • PINETREE
Quite fun. Try it.
Jun 29, 2006 00:48
  • BELLELI
Quite fun? haha, if you have met it, I think you will not say like this.

Cali, maybe I can reply you. I remembered typhoon landed from Hainan last Sep. Can't remember the name of it. It seems it's Yun Na.

I remembered it was evening, because of the typhoon, the power was off. So many trees was blown down by typhoon. No electricity, so so many people went out. Some of them even were no supper, such as me. Can you imagine? My friends and I found so many restaurants, but nothing can eat. Most of them even shutted. All bread shops had sold out its bread and cakes. For supermarket, the most popular food is instant pasta. People looked like be crazy, they bought so many things, just like all of them were free.

oh...don't want to experience again.
Jun 29, 2006 00:51
  • BELLELI
Oh, I forgot to say if there is typhoon, we also don't need work. *_*
Jun 29, 2006 01:51
  • PINETREE
Yes, I experienced typhoon a few times. Never a direct hit but I experienced typhoon reaching no.8 rating (10 being the highest - in HK).
It was exciting with everyone rushing home from wherever they are - but normally some early warning would have been given and most were ready and expecting.
We even drove out all over the island just to get a feel of it and there was hardly any traffic on the roads. Wind was strong & obviously quite dangerous. But it was quite fun - HK was so quiet in the daytime for a welcome change.
Jun 29, 2006 09:18
  • RUNNERMORE
The typhoon seems gone. Just rained heavily in the morning. Here's the sky this morning, very cloudy.

Jun 29, 2006 20:08
  • CALIFORNIA
Don't need work???!!!

It sounds good:-)
Jun 29, 2006 21:31
  • BELLELI
haha,,,yeah, no need to work, sounds good....
Jun 30, 2006 10:07
  • LOVECHINA2
I have lived through many Hurricanes in Florida and I was lucky to be in China when Katrina hit the US.I only went through one Typhoon when I was in Shenzhen and it was not that bad.Common sense,a little planning and you will be OK.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Weather Forecast: Typhoon Jelawat to land on S. China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code